2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer Power Accessory circuit breaker question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
global_dev is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer Power Accessory circuit breaker question

Among other issues with my Blazer, the power door locks stopped working recently. I heard a click, and realized that the doors went from all locked to all unlocked, and would not stay locked. Then the power locks just stopped working. If I locked them manually, they would all click unlocked within a minute.

I removed the circuit breaker so I could lock the vehicle and noticed that the power mirrors are affected, and perhaps the powered driver side seat(forgot to check). I don't move the seat at all, but perhaps a wire is shorting somewhere.

From some other posts/threads here, I think I should be looking for a rubbed through wire? what else are the forum's suggestion?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Check the wire harness where it goes from the body to the drivers side door... The wires inside the accordion tube may have rubbed through their insulation. My bet would be on a faulty door switch. Those switches get rain and other liquids spilt into them quite often. Try disconnecting the drivers side door switch and see if the problem goes away.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 AM
global_dev is on a distinguished road

So after drinving withing out power locks since April (windows worked fine throughout), i decided to plug the breaker back in last week just to test and automagically the locks have not been randomly opening. I keep checking the current lock everyday, and it seems to be OK.

I was trying to source a new control block for the lock, windows and mirror (since I thought it was one piece, but at the lock and windows module i guess the mirror module is separate.

I had a really difficult time trying to get one of the plug-in modules free from the panel block and was unsuccessful. Instead of having over the top latch, it was "move tab from under lip". I haven't been able to remove it, without seemingly cracking/breaking all of the surrounding plastic due to the leverage needed to. Is there a special interior or electronics tool that makes this simple? I was using a flat head screwdriver, but it seems awkward.