2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Jimmy driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Oneroomhouse is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Jimmy driveshaft question

I need help getting my damn driveshaft off!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've done the exact same job on my '93 Jimmy. I'm glad you posted this video before you made the job far more difficult than you should.

1. Remove the retainer straps on the rear U-joint of the drive shaft.
2. Once the retainer straps are removed use a pry bar to pry the U-joint and drive shaft forward to disengage the U-joint from the pinion yoke.
3. Once the U-joint is free of the pinion yoke slide the whole driveshaft rearward and the slip yoke at the front of the driveshaft will slide right out of the tailpiece of the transfer case.

That's it. You don't need to take the tailpiece off the transfer case or anything else. The driveshaft should come out in as little as fifteen minutes.

NOTE: don't lose the U-joint bearing caps when you pop the U-joint out of the pinion yoke. You don't want the experience of picking needle bearings up off the shop floor, cleaning them, greasing them, and trying to put them back in the bearing caps.

Here's another tip that will pay off in the future: the easiest way I have found to unfasten the two top bellhousing bolts on the transmission is to lay under the truck with my head pointing toward the rear and use about six feet of extensions run along the top of the transmission with a wobble at the end. That will allow you to access the bolts without raising the body off the frame or jacking up the front of the engine.

Good luck, take your time, and be safe. My buddy dropped the transmission off the jack when we were removing it on my Jimmy and it landed on my left arm. That hurt.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Oneroomhouse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
I've done the exact same job on my '93 Jimmy. I'm glad you posted this video before you made the job far more difficult than you should.

1. Remove the retainer straps on the rear U-joint of the drive shaft.
2. Once the retainer straps are removed use a pry bar to pry the U-joint and drive shaft forward to disengage the U-joint from the pinion yoke.
3. Once the U-joint is free of the pinion yoke slide the whole driveshaft rearward and the slip yoke at the front of the driveshaft will slide right out of the tailpiece of the transfer case.

That's it. You don't need to take the tailpiece off the transfer case or anything else. The driveshaft should come out in as little as fifteen minutes.

NOTE: don't lose the U-joint bearing caps when you pop the U-joint out of the pinion yoke. You don't want the experience of picking needle bearings up off the shop floor, cleaning them, greasing them, and trying to put them back in the bearing caps.

Here's another tip that will pay off in the future: the easiest way I have found to unfasten the two top bellhousing bolts on the transmission is to lay under the truck with my head pointing toward the rear and use about six feet of extensions run along the top of the transmission with a wobble at the end. That will allow you to access the bolts without raising the body off the frame or jacking up the front of the engine.

Good luck, take your time, and be safe. My buddy dropped the transmission off the jack when we were removing it on my Jimmy and it landed on my left arm. That hurt.
Hey, thanks a lot! I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'm not sure where I'm going to find that many extensions, but that should be 'interesting' I'll post another video when I inevitably get stuck again!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Harbor Freight. I have a some 3' Cornwell extensions, and I'm quite sure Harbor Freight has made knockoffs. They have the wobble extensions, as well.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes,I always use the lug nut wrench to pop free the rear joint,tape the caps,then gently slide the shaft out of the tranny.You will lose about a pint of fluid out of the back of the trans-normal! The shaft can not be re-installed wrong either,and this shaft is short enough that it is an easy one person job;always relube (or replace,if questionable) U-joints before re-installing.
Good hint about those two bellhousing bolts,Toby...

Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've removed the transmission from my '93 Jimmy twice. It has given me enough opportunities to become good at removing it. I just hope that my experience can benefit others and make their jobs easier.