2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'97 Blazer ignition stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Beginning Member
rknight is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97JimmyRig
now i read rknight's post and he says his battery dies.
I'm actually not convinced that's my issue. I seem to have a parasitic draw of some sort separate from this. For now I'm leaving the button unplunged and doint it manually as part of my process of elimination on the draw ... but the button being plunged permanently MIGHT be okay.

Let me know what you figure out ... seems we have the same issue going on.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
97JimmyRig is on a distinguished road

Thanks All! sorry, i should've properly introduced my self in the newbies section. The plunger had enough grease and seemed to work smoothly. i think it may be the unit that pulls the plunger in. i read that when you put the vehicle in park you should hear a click when the plunger is pulled, mine no click. somewhere i read you could check near the shifter for the unit that sends the signal its in park. maybe that could be bad? mines floor shift.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
indec01 is on a distinguished road

I've had this same problem for a long time too in 1997 Blazer. I'll go out and try to turn the thing on and it acts like the battery is dead, nothing will come on. I then can't get the key back out. Now I replaced the ignition switch like a year or so ago but having the problem again now for a couple months. Like that guy said the thing will click after a minute or two and release the key after the vehicle has been shut off. Happens very random, sometimes it works properly. Other time might do it 2 or 3 times in a row. I find it hard to believe the new ignition switch is bad, there is something else causing this. (Im interested in the transmission being in park sensor idea). I have also had some battery being dead issues, something draining it also.

(Not trying to hijack the thread)
Not sure if it's related but my wipers weren't working for longest time, it was very random as well, sometimes work fine and progressively got worse. They would just make a buzzing noise, you could put your hand out there and pull the wipers and then they would start working mostly properly. Now suddenly the wipers work fine but the power door locks don't work, from any of the doors. You can lock some of them from drivers or passenger side by hitting the lock button but they all don't work together simultaneously every time. No unlocking at all via the button. Manual operation still works of course. Back window and door is tied in with all the rest. If I leave the aux power fuse by drivers side door in, the locks will act possessed and lock and unlock by themselves. So I've been leaving the fuse out. Funny how the wipers work fine now and locks don't, they must be tied together somehow? Perhaps one of relays under dash passenger side? Not sure how to identify and find them tho, I took off the cover near floor of pass side by don't see much in there.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys.. something tells me some of you may have grounding problems:
Look at these two pics..Click this pic to help locate the Ground points G 203, 204, 205 which come off that fat bundle

They ground the body control module circuits.

This attach below shows the other IP wiring harness for reference. Arrows in each point to front

Attached Thumbnails '97 Blazer ignition stuck-ip_harn_2__2000.gif  

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-18-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 AM
indec01 is on a distinguished road

Ill try to check it out but feel a little over my head when it comes to the electrical aspect of these vehicles, simple stuff i can handle, mechanical stuff i can mostly handle too. thanks for the diagram that will help