2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
blazer66780 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer now wont start

Hey everyone I was hoping that someone could give me advice or that knows what the problem with my 97 blazer is.
Let me give you a little history.....I bought it a few weeks ago and the guy said it needed an o2 sensor. The blazer started and ran fine for the 150 miles of the trip home. Then whenever it would downshift to pull a hill or if I accelerated too hard it would sputter and kind of lose power. Also while running down the road there would be an occasional bog down for like 2 seconds then everything was fine.
The next day after I got it home I ran the DTC code to find which o2 sensor was bad and replaced it. It was also throwing P0300 and P0306 codes. I pulled #6 plug and it was fouled. I went to the local auto store and bought new plugs (AC Delco) wires (Duralast) and cap and rotor (Duralast Gold). After installing these items I still had the same problem of cutting out and sputtering as before. Another mechanic said it was the catalytic converter. So on my way to the exhaust shop the SES light began to flash. I instantly shut the blazer off. Waited and restarted....not flashing. Finally got new cat installed. No change in before said symptoms.
I stopped and bought a fuel pressure tester. When tested key on engine off I had 63 lbs pressure. Soon as pump shut off it instantly dropped to zero. Knowing this is a problem I removed the plenum and installed a new fuel pressure regulator. AFter installed I again checked fuel pressure....still drops to zero after pump turns off. Next step I changed the "Spyder" with one I previously had from my other 97 blazer that I wrecked. I put everything back together and changed a few sensors also. I tried to start and it cranks and tries to start but wont. Starting fluid was sprayed in intake and it ran but died quickly. I then tested fuel pressure. Again 63 psi. While pressurized and pump running i pushed the pressure release on the tester and no fuel came out but the pump runs.

I really hope someone can help me out here. I am lost and confused but ready to get this blazer going!!

New parts:
cap rotor wired plugs crank sensor cam sensor MAP sensor MAF sensor o2 sensor fuel filter PCV valve intake gasket plenum gasket valve cover gaskets fuel pressure regulator