2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 S10 Blazer multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:48 AM
SPL2Alan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 S10 Blazer multiple problems

Not sure if I should make multiple threads or tackle one problem and continue in the same thread. Maybe someone could direct me, but i'll start with one problem for now...

Computer issue (I think)
Upon purchasing the vehicle we were unable to get it to pass smog because the monitors would reset every time the key was turned off.
They 'made it' pass, but the problem still wasn't fixed. I'm not sure what kind of a problem this will cause in the future aside from being able to sell it in the same state. Any ideas? Need more info?

Old 11-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Default RE: 97 S10 Blazer multiple problems

52 views and no ideas on this one, guys?

*Combining consecutive posts*

maybe the other problems are linked....

About every 3 months the car gets a mild miss, which worsens with time, but every time, it ends up being a bad cap & rotor, which fixes the problem temporarily. I've had it to two different mechanics and sending it in AGAIN today, hoping that he can finally figure out what is wrong with it, but so far all they've done is change cap/rotor, wires and plugs.

Also, the dash lights randomly go off and the car dies when we're driving down the road. Bad ignition maybe?

This is turning into an expensive vehicle. UGH.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - cleaning up consecutive posts

Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: SPL2Alan

52 views and no ideas on this one, guys?
It could be that we didn't understand exactly what you were saying. I would suggest checking all the ground connections.

Any vehicle info or history would also be helpful.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, maybe if we had some more information, we could help you better. No info == no definitive answers. It's getting to a point that it is very frustrating for us to just keep asking for the basic info on your vehicle.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto here on the spark plug wires, cap and rotor problem. 3rd set here since January. I realized this last time that the distributor cap design is terrible. The wires keep sliding out of the horizontal designed cap and are not making good connections thus poor spark to plugs. I check mine every Sunday now. Be careful though, my mechanic has all 3 times told me that I needed a spider injector assembly and all 3 times he has been wrong. It is understandable because it is so unusual to have to change your cap and rotor so often.
This last time after he put the new cap and rotor on and plugged my spark plug wires into the cap, I started the truck an let it run for about 5 minutes. He checked my wires at the cap and sure enough, they were already starting to slide out. He used a tiny screw driver to release the air pocket when you push the wire on and that seemed to help. They have been good and tight for 4 weeks now.

Hope this helps part of your problem. I don't think the dash lights and dying are related to your miss.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On your spark plug wire on cap problem, that really isn't a design flaw. These parts are designed to be air tight to prohibit corrosion. Well, the problem you are experiencing is because of this. No need to replace the parts. Just take a very small screw driver, nail, etc and slip it into the wire boot before you slide it onto the cap terminal. Once the wire is seated all the way onto the terminal, pull out the 'tool'. The tool allows the air to escape and will literally vacuum the wire onto the terminal. While you're at it, add a dab of dielectric grease to the wire boot before putting it together. This will inhibit corrosion as well as make it easier to remove the boot later on if necessary.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yeah, maybe if we had some more information, we could help you better. No info == no definitive answers. It's getting to a point that it is very frustrating for us to just keep asking for the basic info on your vehicle.
Well I suppose maybe I should apologize?

I'm not sure what kind of info would be helpful, so thats why I asked if I needed to provide more info besides the basic make/model of the vehicle.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

add all u can in ur signature, it helps dramatically.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Things I would be looking for in this case would be anything that you have done to try to correct the problem. Also, any other information about the problem (ie. symptoms you've noticed) and any additional information that can be given.

So do you know what monitors were 'not ready' that caused it to fail? There are a host of monitors that must be in the 'ready' state for a vehicle to pass inspection tests.