General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Got rims and tires, but multiple problems found.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Bigtimefball87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got rims and tires, but multiple problems found.

I guess these kinds of problems come with the territory of owning a 14 year old truck with 185,000 + miles on it.

Today was the day that I was to take my truck in to SBR Tire Exchange to have my custom rims and tires put on. I dropped the truck off at 2:45. At 5:30 I got the call.

The guy told me that he had my rims and tires on the truck. However, when he went to adjust the torsion (?) bars and align the front end to accommodate the bigger tires, he found numerous problems.

1. On both sides, the lower ball joints are loose. They’re rolling around in the sockets. The upper ball joints are fine. It’s the lowers that are crap.
2. The steering tie rod has gone bad.
3. To top it all off, the passenger side anti roll bar is completely missing.
[ol][/ol]The total cost to repair all these problems is “estimated” to be around $795 including the six hours of labor required for such a big job. The rims and tires are already costing me $1,250 which is a price I was prepared to shoulder. But this extra $795 will completely take me off my feet money-wise.

I had to ask my dad for help. I know he will definitely help me out with these unexpected charges, but I still feel pretty crappy about it since money has been darn tight lately.

I don’t really know what else to say. I guess what I can say is I would advise anyone who has a Blazer that’s a similar age or mileage to mine to get the front end parts checked for wear as soon as you can, if you haven’t already.

Wish me luck with this. I know I’ll be needing it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Got rims and tires, but multiple problems found.

Sad to say, but yes, these are common components. Ball joints and tie rods, if not properly greased, will wear out quickly. The sway bar end link (what you are talking about) isn't difficult nor expensive to replace.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

do them yourself or get a buddy that knows how and save your money

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Do it yourself! I would hope the balljoints have been replaced before with 185k, but if not, all you need is some time and a heavy duty power drill! I've never done a tie rod before, but I'd imagine it would be rather straight forward. Then just spend $100 on the alignment! I'd help ya if you were closer!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, what about pics with the rims!!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Bigtimefball87 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Do it yourself! I would hope the balljoints have been replaced before with 185k, but if not, all you need is some time and a heavy duty power drill! I've never done a tie rod before, but I'd imagine it would be rather straight forward. Then just spend $100 on the alignment! I'd help ya if you were closer!
Thanks for the help gesture. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I’m not, um, “mechanically inclined”. However, I do have a neighbor across the street who is. Maybe I can ask for his help? He and I have been talking trucks quite a bit lately.

My dad said over the phone that he wants me to take it to his favorite mechanic over at Firestone for a second opinion. My dad likes the guy but I’m more suspicious of him. I have had bad feeling about him maybe ripping my dad off.[>:]

As far as pictures of the new rims go, they will have to wait because I haven’t even glimpsed the truck since I dropped it off. [:'(]