2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'97, Turn signal issues then no start..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
kolbpilot is on a distinguished road
Default '97, Turn signal issues then no start..

Took my Blazer to get inspected today. It passed, but I noticed a brake light out. I pulled the bulb only to find it good. This Blazer has its emergency signal switch broken (pop up part) so I started messing around with it. It went from bad to worse with the emergency lights coming on & staying on no matter what I did. To add insult to injury, the truck will not start now, when energizing the ignition switch I no longer hear the fuel pump, the engine turns over, no start. I used the red test wire to see if the pump comes on & it did, however it will not start. So, I'm wondering, did I cause all this & need a new turn signal switch (multi switch). Would that affect ignition also? Truck as 211k on it, the turn signals feel somewhat worn but I never had a problem until messing around there. The ignition switch has always worked normal. When turning it to the run position all of the dash board light DO light up. Any ideas?

Last edited by kolbpilot; 11-15-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Do you have the SES {check engine} light at 'key on'?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member

Both the 'CEL' light & 'ABS' light were on when I bought this thing at 205k miles. I actually took out both bulbs because I was tired of looking at 'em. The truck ran flawlessly for the next 6000 miles. It all went downhill when I started messing with the emergency flasher switch, (the whole little up & down piece came out). I also popped the little plastic ring of the ignition switch (the ring where the key goes in) so I could get the plastic trim off around the steering column. Now....no start.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by kolbpilot
Both the 'CEL' light & 'ABS' light were on when I bought this thing at 205k miles. I actually took out both bulbs because I was tired of looking at 'em. The truck ran flawlessly for the next 6000 miles. It all went downhill when I started messing with the emergency flasher switch, (the whole little up & down piece came out). I also popped the little plastic ring of the ignition switch (the ring where the key goes in) so I could get the plastic trim off around the steering column. Now....no start.
Most times it's good to have the history. In this case, only NOW counts.
Though I suspect it has to do with what I highlighted, it would be good to know if your pcm is working or not.
I checked {my 99 diagrams} for common circuit/fuses between ign and mfs and there's not any apparent connection with fuses you could blow at the MFS that would cause no start. Only one I can see is Ign A - 40A, but it wouldnt crank if that was blown. And IP block fuse 10 should blow first.

All I can offer is to check all the IP and underhood fuses

Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. I got it to start back up. I somehow had put the "ECM" fuse in the wrong slot, causing my malfunction. I thought it had to be something simple for it has always started up 'til now. I rigged the emergency flasher up/down button to sit in place to where the turn signals work again. But (get this), now they are some how hot wired, they operate without key. But they work. On the down side of this weird puzzle, only my 3rd brake light works now, the main 2 lights do not. Beyond weird. The more I think of it the more it probably has to do with the turn signal assy. But I'm poor for the moment, and am thinking of wiring them off of the 3rd light. and now that I think about the hot wired turn signals, they too are probably affected by the worn out/broken turn signal assy.

Last edited by kolbpilot; 11-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by kolbpilot
Thanks for the reply. I got it to start back up. I somehow had put the "ECM" fuse in the wrong slot, causing my malfunction. I thought it had to be something simple for it has always started up 'til now. I rigged the emergency flasher up/down button to sit in place to where the turn signals work again. But (get this), now they are some how hot wired, they operate without key. But they work. On the down side of this weird puzzle, only my 3rd brake light works now, the main 2 lights do not. Beyond weird. The more I think of it the more it probably has to do with the turn signal assy. But I'm poor for the moment, and am thinking of wiring them off of the 3rd light. and now that I think about the hot wired turn signals, they too are probably affected by the worn out/broken turn signal assy.
If it's applicable for your year the hazard button alone is available as a fix. ...under $20.