2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 problems, and this blazer is one

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Firebird91 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 problems, and this blazer is one

OK, i have a 1998 Blazer, mostly stock with a few redneck rigs, including electric fans, Magnaflow exhaust, and a few 10's in the back for some bump. Last night while driving home, it made a slight hiccup while pulling away from a stop sign, just felt like it didnt wanna go. It hesitated and ran a lil rough for a second, so i put it in neutral and revved it. I drove the rest of the way home, about 5 miles, with no issues. When i got in it this mornin, i started it up, and after a few seconds put it in reverse and backed down the drive. When i went to put it in drive, it shuttered real bad, like it was runnin on 4 cylinders. I put it in N and revved it again, and tried to go. No suck luck. I pulled back up the driveway, and have been troubleshooting it since. i pulled a few of the plug wires and gave them a lil WD 40, to make sure there was no water gettin in the way. I pulled the distributor cap, and it was dry as a bone. So even with this heavy rain that hit southeastern Pa, im not sure water is the problem. It will start and idle fine occasionally, then just burp and die in a matter of seconds. I can however keep it runnin with my foot on the gas.... and at 3 grand it doesnt seem to be misfiring. any ideas what could be wrong. the plugs, wires, adn cap n rotor are about 20K old. the spider injector is about 15, and about 8K ago it got a new intake manifold gasket and has been running GREAT since until today. I havent had a chance to check the codes, but does anyone have any ideas? all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Firebird91
OK, i have a 1998 Blazer, mostly stock with a few redneck rigs, including electric fans, Magnaflow exhaust, and a few 10's in the back for some bump. Last night while driving home, it made a slight hiccup while pulling away from a stop sign, just felt like it didnt wanna go. It hesitated and ran a lil rough for a second, so i put it in neutral and revved it. I drove the rest of the way home, about 5 miles, with no issues. When i got in it this mornin, i started it up, and after a few seconds put it in reverse and backed down the drive. When i went to put it in drive, it shuttered real bad, like it was runnin on 4 cylinders. I put it in N and revved it again, and tried to go. No suck luck. I pulled back up the driveway, and have been troubleshooting it since. i pulled a few of the plug wires and gave them a lil WD 40, to make sure there was no water gettin in the way. I pulled the distributor cap, and it was dry as a bone. So even with this heavy rain that hit southeastern Pa, im not sure water is the problem. It will start and idle fine occasionally, then just burp and die in a matter of seconds. I can however keep it runnin with my foot on the gas.... and at 3 grand it doesnt seem to be misfiring. any ideas what could be wrong. the plugs, wires, adn cap n rotor are about 20K old. the spider injector is about 15, and about 8K ago it got a new intake manifold gasket and has been running GREAT since until today. I havent had a chance to check the codes, but does anyone have any ideas? all help is greatly appreciated!

is it pulling any codes or is your check engine light going on?

I had the same problem turned out to be a bad wire arcing REALLY BAD.

The arcing was so bad that you didn't need to spray the wires you could see the bolt... I replaced my autolite wires with bosch...

Runs smooth again...

Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 AM

could you see it arcing? where was the wire arcing to?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Firebird91
could you see it arcing? where was the wire arcing to?

Oh yeah it was VERY noticable.

It was arcing to the block...

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

ok i have pretty much eliminated any ignition issues. I hate to say it, but i think its fuel related. the pump is running, so it might be the spider injector... again. when it shuts off, it reminds me of turning the choke on a small engine. it seems like it loads up with fuel and shuts off that way

Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Work through all the steps.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Fixed!!!! Dont know why, but my Mac Tools scanner would not communicate with the vehicle, so after many failed attempts, i simply disconnected the battery. A few minutes later i hooked it back up, and the check engine light was off and the truck ran great. Must have been some weird code stored in the computer that was interfering with either the spark or fuel delivery. Thanks for the help guys!