2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 4WD Blazer Rear Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018 | 05:03 PM
|
Starting Member
Lisa5473 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 4WD Blazer Rear Brake Issue

Ok guys. I have spent weeks and hundreds of dollars trying to figure this out. The guy that works on my Blazer is baffled. Hoping to find help here. I'll try to be brief as I can.

Took it to have back brakes (disc) replaced after inspection showed it was needed. Guy also replaced rotors. Drive 2 miles and smelled my brakes. Drove right back to garage and rear passenger side was hot as hell. He then replaces passenger side caliper. The next day after about 15 miles of in-town driving, the driver's side was heating up. Replaced that caliper. All seemed well.

Two days later I smelled brakes again and found the driver's side rear tire to be extremely hot. This time the mechanic replaces the brake hose only on that side. This fixed it perfectly, or so I thought. No problems whatsoever for almost a month.

I usually don't go far - just around town and no faster than 40 mph. Last Saturday I decided to take a trip to a place that's 45 minutes from our home. Drove about 22 miles of highway at speeds of 50-55mph. Came to a stoplight at the end of it, and when I went to pull away at the green I smelled those brakes. Rear passenger side again.

After about an hour, the wheel was cool to the touch so I attempted to drive home. I could go about 10 miles before I had to stop and let it cool. I've been driving it around town again with NO problems at all. Mechanic wants to try and disconnect the parking brake. He can't understand why this is happening. I'm at my wits end.

Anyone ever have this problem or know what is going on? Thank you in advance for any suggestions .

Forgot to add that I never get any smoke...just heat and that awful smell. Also don't feel any pulling to that side or dragging and all other wheels are cool to the touch.

Last edited by Lisa5473; 08-07-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Forget to add this
Old 08-07-2018 | 10:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

With new calipers, a not uncommon problem of the piston getting stuck is likely not your problem.

As for the parking brake, I've battled with that on my 99 Blazer and will offer this advice and speculation. If you are not in the habit of using the parking brake, and if it was tested as part of your inspection, AND there is salt used on your roads, I could imagine the parking bake mechanism that resides on the back (inner side) of the rotors getting stuck and that being where the excess heat is generated.

The mechanism for the parking brake is that the back-side of the rotor is used as the drum for a set of mechanical drum brakes. When the cable for the parking brake is under tension, the shoes are pushed outward so that they contact the inner surface of the drum. There is also a ratcheting self-adjuster mechanism that I could imagine getting stuck keeping the shoes in contact with the drum surface.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-09-2018 | 07:37 AM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

I would suggest removing the parking brake shoes, drive around for awhile and see if the problem is still there.
I cannot think of how the parking brake could be applied during normal driving/braking....but guess anything is possible.......

Hopefully Lisa's mechanic knows what he is doing....

Old 08-11-2018 | 02:49 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

if it isn't the parking brake problem, it could be the brake lines are collapsed internally.