2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Jimmy Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM
litlmeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
Just checking, but you have reconnected the ignition module correct? I umm, know SOME people overlook things like that. Never happens to me though!!! ( I wish...)
Yes double checked everything. I pulled off the plenum today plenum and intake are wet... Pressurized pump and injectors with plenum off no visible leaks but i did notice looks like a vaccum hose coming off the driver side of engine has a tear in it going to plenum then runs to a t next to brake booster

Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
While you have the plugs out, remove the fuel pump relay and unplug the ignition coil connector, then crank it over for ~4 or 5 seconds to clear the cylinders out. AC Delco 41-993 plugs with .060" gap.
Removed plenum as i had found a couple bolts loose. Intake was wet but no visible signs of leaks when i repressurized system. Repaired a torn vacuum line that i found torn

Old 01-18-2016, 04:53 PM

While you have the plugs out, remove the fuel pump relay and unplug the ignition coil connector, then crank it over for ~4 or 5 seconds to clear the cylinders out. AC Delco 41-993 plugs with .060" gap.
Is there anyway to check to see if injector is actuating as it should. It still has the original injectors with the poppets

Old 01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Very easy job if you have a bi-directional scanner that can perform an injector balance test. Without the scanner, there are actually two "work arounds". The first one is to connect the pressure tester to the service port, then activate the fuel pump by cycling the ignition a few times to pressurize the system. Then remove the fuel pump relay and crank the starter while watching fuel pressure. If the pressure drops off, you will at least know that "some" of the injectors are working. The second way is more accurate, but involves more work. Remove the plenum and reinstall the fuel lines and injector connector. Remove poppet nozzles, then crank the engine over and watch each nozzle for the spray.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Very easy job if you have a bi-directional scanner that can perform an injector balance test. Without the scanner, there are actually two "work arounds". The first one is to connect the pressure tester to the service port, then activate the fuel pump by cycling the ignition a few times to pressurize the system. Then remove the fuel pump relay and crank the starter while watching fuel pressure. If the pressure drops off, you will at least know that "some" of the injectors are working. The second way is more accurate, but involves more work. Remove the plenum and reinstall the fuel lines and injector connector. Remove poppet nozzles, then crank the engine over and watch each nozzle for the spray.
Ok i will try that. Also does the upgrade of injectors to mfi require any reprogramming of pcm or anything if i find an issue with injectors

Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Nope, the upgrade injector is plug & play. You will need a new, (upgrade) bracket to hold the new, (upgrade) fuel metering block. Some injector kits come with it, some don't. You'll also need the upper intake gasket set. Some kits come with it, some don't

Old 01-18-2016, 07:38 PM

Nope, the upgrade injector is plug & play. You will need a new, (upgrade) bracket to hold the new, (upgrade) fuel metering block. Some injector kits come with it, some don't. You'll also need the upper intake gasket set. Some kits come with it, some don't
Im guessing that i would not want to use remaned injector?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:42 PM

That would be a correct guess Not worth it.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:41 PM

That would be a correct guess Not worth it.
Put fuel pressure guage on, primed system and removed relay for pump. Pressure drops off to 40lbs. Did tgat several times all with same reading

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Drops to 40psi while cranking the starter? How long were you cranking?

Quick Reply: 99 Jimmy Wont start