2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Jimmy Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:36 PM
litlmeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Was it rhythmic, not erratic? Do you have jumper cables or a decent size battery charger? Spark needs to be blue, orange is weak, could be low battery from all the cranking lately.
Yes its a good rythmic spark. I have kept a battery charger on all the time when working and battery showing full charge. So possibilty of weak coil?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could be. There are resistance tests that you can do on the coil, and the auto parts stores have testers for them, but at best, either way is not too reliable. What kind of rapport do you have at the auto parts store? Usually they won't let you return electrical stuff.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Could be. There are resistance tests that you can do on the coil, and the auto parts stores have testers for them, but at best, either way is not too reliable. What kind of rapport do you have at the auto parts store? Usually they won't let you return electrical stuff.
New coil and fuel still no start. I was told i could possibly have bad lower intake manifold gasket because the coolant could be making the fuel not ignite

Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

WOW, there's a new one. Never heard THAT before. I hope he gave you that info for free Do we have a blue spark now?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:33 PM

WOW, there's a new one. Never heard THAT before. I hope he gave you that info for free Do we have a blue spark now?
Yea that was guy at parts store.... Yes good blue spark now

Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Can it be a plugged catalytic converter that would cause issues like this?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Orange spark before, blue spark now, we're making progress very slow, but progress none the less. When you disabled the ignition and fuel pump to check the injectors, and when you sprayed carb spray in the air intake, that fuel is still in the cylinders, and might be flooding it now. Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it. That will shut off the injectors until it starts, (if it starts) If it's flooded, it should only take 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to clear it out. Try it, see what happens. Just for grins and giggles, while you're cranking it, have an assistant put a hand over the tail pipe to see if its pushing out air. (restricted exhaust????)

Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Captain Hook;660256]Orange spark before, blue spark now, we're making progress very slow, but progress none the less. When you disabled the ignition and fuel pump to check the injectors, and when you sprayed carb spray in the air intake, that fuel is still in the cylinders, and might be flooding it now. Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it. That will shut off the injectors until it starts, (if it starts) If it's flooded, it should only take 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to clear it out. Try it, see what happens. Just for grins and giggles, while you're cranking it, have an assistant put a hand over the tail pipe to see if its pushing out air. (restricted exhaust????)[/QUOTE

I seem to have good exhaust flow out tail pipe. I can try to disconect exh. At connection by firewall but seems to have good push of exh. With hand over pipe. What would i look into next

Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 PM

Orange spark before, blue spark now, we're making progress very slow, but progress none the less. When you disabled the ignition and fuel pump to check the injectors, and when you sprayed carb spray in the air intake, that fuel is still in the cylinders, and might be flooding it now. Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it. That will shut off the injectors until it starts, (if it starts) If it's flooded, it should only take 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to clear it out. Try it, see what happens. Just for grins and giggles, while you're cranking it, have an assistant put a hand over the tail pipe to see if its pushing out air. (restricted exhaust????)
I also have another ? Regarding the bcm. Am i able to swap the bcm from my 2000 blazer that im driving now to the 99 jimmy if they have the same features? Will this cause any issues

Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM

The BCM needs to be programmed to the vehicle it is being used in. Do you have access to a scan tool that will show live, real time data, (not just a code reader)?

Quick Reply: 99 Jimmy Wont start