2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

About to buy my first ZR2...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member
Billybob69 is on a distinguished road
Default About to buy my first ZR2...need advice

I am selling my bike so that I can get a daily driver and retire my diesel pickup to trailer duties. Living on a dirt road sucks when you have a sport/touring bike. The tires don't play well on dirt and gravel.

Anyway... I have always loved the ZR2 Blazer looks so I think I may have found one.
2001 with 173k on the clock. $3100. I haven't seen it yet other than pics and it is about 3 hrs from here so I don't want to waste my time.
Fair price?
Advice?

How long will these vehicles last if taken care of? They said regularly maintained and runs great but anyone can say that.
The fender flares look faded.... Can these be easily removed to be repainted?
Automatic.... What kind of life can I expect out of this?

I see a lot of threads about the fuel gauge not working... Is this something I can expect to fail? Easy fix?

What other things should I look for?
I am not afraid to turn a wrench and am mechanically able. I have basically rebuilt the top end of my trucks engine so ......

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum. That is not too bad a price for an 01,but it should be more like $1700-$2100 unless the unit is in real nice shape. You must have found it at a dealer. There are many design flaws engineered into these units,not unlike any other vehicle of the era-a benefit is that while these are relatively easy to work on,any difficult issue has already happened to someone else and all the answers are here. Utilize the search feature to learn as much as you can before you drop the cash! These are basically great cars and due to attrition parts (and whole units) are available cheap! My advice is to really shop around if you have the luxury of time,there are a lot of trashed ones too!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member
Billybob69 is on a distinguished road

Actually it is a private owner that's selling it. I am thinking of offering $2500.
As for time, the sooner the better. I'm not in desperate need but I would like to retire my diesel truck to trailer duties. It is hitting 300k on the clock and the price of fuel for that thing just doesn't make sense to use it as a daily driver.

I did doors one shopping around and I did find an 02 with only 85k on the odometer going for $5000. This one is at a dealer. But with the $3000 from my bike and another bit of cash I can prolly get the dealer to drop the price a little. Already looked over the car fax on it and it has all greens. Also regular maintained records from dealerships. Seems pretty well taken care of. Book value is right on at $5000 but I know they didn't pay that when they got it.

I have found some of the trashed ones.... What a waste. These are some pretty nice looking vehicles to be destroyed the way I have found some.