2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Accelerator options

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Mltoys is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Accelerator options

Heres my issue, i tore a ligament in the bottom of my foot and am not suppose to drive due to the repetive motion of pressing gas ans brake. Doing this this will not let it heal quicker.
I want to either make a lever that pivits and pushes the gas pedal down with a spring return, or make a handle that will have a motorcycle brake lever ot twist grip going under hood to the throttle cable hook up.

Brake is no problem since i do have my lest foot for that.

Any ideas or suggestions, i cant go possibly 2 months like this.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I think it would be more difficult to do it that way than it would to just use your left foot for the gas and brake?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

My brother in law lost his right leg a few years back and still drives with his left foot. I would go out and do some practice with just the left foot until your right is good to go.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:40 AM

I drive mainly around town do drop off my granddaughter at camp and to run out to store on occasion.
I was actually thinking about it last night and may try just setting my cruise control at 25mph and driving. Then i can still stop and resume.
I have never in my 36 years of driving used cruise control so if it decides to stop working during my healing time its not really a loss to me.

Last edited by Mltoys; 07-19-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Cruise controls generally won't set to speeds below 30-35mph, and don't work that well at the low end of their capabilities.

Check into "hand controls" at a local "mobility store." I've installed several sets for friends and neighbors when I was living in Florida, near a "retirement community". The Wells-Enberg units were reasonably priced and easy enough to install. They have both "twist" throttle (like a motorcycle) and lever throttle units. You push the lever forward/down for brakes, and twist or pivot the lever around the column (like a column gear shift) for throttle operation.

There are also "portable" setups that can be installed and removed without tools. These are more expensive, but good for people who travel and need to set them up in/on rental cars.

If your doctor orders them as "medically necessary," Medicare or your insurance will probably cover the cost for a rental unit (the hand controls, not a car) while you recover.

Last edited by Racer_X; 07-19-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:52 PM

Well being the big diy kinda person i am i looked at an old set of crutches and said hmmmmmm. 1/2 hour later i was out cruisin.
Pivot point, spring return and rubber handle. I may add a handle coming off the right side so while resting my arm on the center console i can just use my fingers to controll it.

Ok lets hear the comments even the bad ones.

Attached Thumbnails Accelerator options-image.jpeg  
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 PM

Can i ask another question while i have come attention.
Why does the forum look like this on my ipad ? Its the only thing that does it.
Just half the screen

Attached Thumbnails Accelerator options-image.png  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Your hand throttle control looks good.

There's a forum here for "website problems. " Website Problems and Suggestions - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

You might want to post your other ipad question there.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 PM

Thank you