2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Adding RKE - Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
latunguley is on a distinguished road
Default Adding RKE - Problems...

I recently installed a Remote keyless entry receiver in my 2000 s-10 blazer that had factory door locks but did not have factory remote keyless entry, I found many web pages that contained articles on installing a RKE receiver into a 2000 era s-10 blazer, so i followed the advice given on the web pages, installed the rke receiver up under my lower left under dash and just simply plugged it into the existing wire plug already there. Tried many times to follow key fob programming, no luck, so i searched even more. Found that it one is to install the Body Control Module from a blazer that had remote keyless entry it would already be programmed in the body control module?? One problem? When one is to install the body control module from another blazer (Passlock) shuts down the fuel pump from pumping fuel. So i went to a local GM dealer and let them install the body control module. The dumb **** erased the included program and re-entered a program for my VIN number. Stupid! Now i am right where i started from. Please!? Is there anyone that knows of this kind of installation that can please shed some light on this matter? Please!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What did you expect the dealership to do...? They can enable the RKE in your BCM if you were to let them know that is what you need them to do. They would simply need the VIN from a vehicle so equiped to get the proper programming and away they would go.

This thread should shed sufficient light on your situation:
How to: Keyless Entry!!

BTW, I am going to move this thread out of this very old discussion and rather link to it for reference.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

It's all pretty simple. I did the entire job for $20-30 and 30 or so minutes of my time.

You need the BCM from a Blazer with keyless entry. You also need the airbag module from the same donor vehicle. The airbag module is under the carpet, at the rear of the center console. Swap both in. The passlock job is simple. Make sure your battery is fully charged, as you have to leave the key turned forward for about 30 minutes.

Tech Tips: Perform the Passlock learn procedure as follows:
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes.
6. The fourth time the engine is cranked, it should start and run.
I had to crank mine multiple times before it would start. If you don't swap in the airbag module, your airbag light will be on and your airbags will not work. I've been wondering if the same thing happens when the dealership programs a new VIN(one from a truck with keyless entry) into your BCM. You get the same results. The VIN from the BCM and SDM(air bag module) do not match and will not communicate. Throws code B1001.

Now you need to program the remote(s).
Originally Posted by cr8930

1. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:

6.1. Locking the doors
6.2. Unlocking the doors

IMPORTANT: All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.

7. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner:

7.1. Locking the doors.
7.2. Unlocking the doors.

8. Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter.
9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 01-08-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 PM
bocoogto is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried the procedure from the last poster? Do you really have to get the air bag module as well as the keyless entry module? I have only the keyless entry module from a junked 2001 Blazer to put in my 2000 Blazer that did not have locks from the factory. The key fobs match the FCC numbers on the receiver module.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bocoogto
Has anyone tried the procedure from the last poster? Do you really have to get the air bag module as well as the keyless entry module? I have only the keyless entry module from a junked 2001 Blazer to put in my 2000 Blazer that did not have locks from the factory. The key fobs match the FCC numbers on the receiver module.
Ok, YES, I have sucessfully installed and had activated my RKE/Alarm GM in my 2000 S-10 Blazer, I think in the end the dealership had me go get and install the Body Control Module in the parking lot at dealership, Then i had to go get the VIN number off the very vehicle the BCM and RKE came from they doownloaded the information from GM main frame? And then proceded to load it into my vehicle and WHAM!!OH!! Got IT! I love it! Its the greatest thing since sliced bread! It does exist. Not a myth.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member

On another note: I was not interested in having the alarm but it came with the Gm dealer programming? Off the 2000 S-10 Blazer LT donor vehicle from which i obtained the Remote receiver up under driver side dash, and body control module, and Vehicle Id Numbers. All i really wanted was remote keyless entry, but gained it all, now i can even pop the rear glass at my local Wal Kart.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM

How about the air bag module? Did you transfer that, too, or did your air bag warning respond properly after keyless update? How much time did the dealer take and how much did he charge?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member

Ok i am replying to this post because i was asked about the "air bag issue". From the start i never had such air bag problems or at all for that matter? No codes came up and no codes come up? Its been about 9 months now? One problem i did encounter and God love the man? Was that the dealership i chose to program my BCM and such picked the eldest man on the service team to perform my procedure. Mistake! Two times the poor man failed at programming my blazer at all. made me come back a third time and the third time they put the youngest technician on the service team and within 20 minutes the young man had not only properly programmed my BCM but had 5 key fobs programmed too for me. The dealership still only charged me the quoted price of $65.00 plus state tax? Not bad i figured? But the young man also informed me that iu should keep in my glove box a decent copy of the other donor vehicles VIN just in case my battery died or something else happened down the road? So far? So good? I love it! Now my buddy with a 2001 GMC Full size 2wd pick up that has factory power door locks wants me to help him install RKE/Alarm in his truck. Told him most of the wiring should already be there? My theory is that the wiring is there? We just need to take a day and rip apart his under dash to see?

Last edited by latunguley; 08-23-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Battery being removed or dying does not make difference. Still works
Old 08-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. Now, I need to decide if it's worth it to have our local dealer program the car to accept the added power locks. I'd better get the BCM off the donor Blazer and VIN just in case.