2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bad situation lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Lege46 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bad situation lock cylinder

So I need some advice, first off, don’t judge haha, so my key broke off in the ignition a while back and haven’t drove it in about a year and lost the key. Now enough is in there where if I turn it right with a random key it will crank, well I finally said I’m going to just change the lock cylinder, well the problem is, I got the key turned past accessory, got a pick and pushed in the whole and the tab went down I think, there’s nothing there, I could barley get a good grip on it with vise grips, channel locks, pliers, and ripped the plate off, now it just got marred up trying to pull it out. I jiggled tried every angle, I don’t know what to do. As I said don’t judge me and my buddy were drunk and didn’t have a torx and our thinking was “f it I’ll get a column bezel at the junk yard, so yeah and ideas would be appreciated, I don’t want to have to fish out the broken key and get a new one.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I've sometimes run across ignitions with the keys in them at the stock yard, grab yourself some torque bits and pull it out, I've never pulled one myself so not sure if you can push it out from the other side.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:26 AM
Rhino123 is on a distinguished road
Default You need a drill

Originally Posted by donl
i've sometimes run across ignitions with the keys in them at the stock yard, grab yourself some torque bits and pull it out, i've never pulled one myself so not sure if you can push it out from the other side.
​​​​​​

Old 03-13-2020, 07:41 AM
Default You need a drill

Originally Posted by DonL
I've sometimes run across ignitions with the keys in them at the stock yard, grab yourself some torque bits and pull it out, I've never pulled one myself so not sure if you can push it out from the other side.
​​​​​​
BEFORE TRYING WHAT I WROTE BELOW YOU CAN ALSO TRY CRAZY GLUING OR USING JB WELD ON THE END OF A STANDARD SCREWDRIVER TO THE KEY. LET THAT BOND WITH THE KEY THAT'S BROKEN IN THE IGNITION. THEN TRY REMOVING THE KEY WITH THE SCREWDRIVER BONDED TO IT.

I ran into the same problem on my blazer the PIN that is supposed to release your ignition cylinder is either Frozen or inoperative. Your best bet is to get a drill (A REALLY SHARP LARGE DRILL BIT). lay the drill bit over the top of the locking cylinder to get an idea of how deep to drill. then wrap the drill bit with masking tape so you don't go past that depth. Any further and you can cause harm to the entire column. Don't use a battery-operated drill it won't last long enough. Try to center punch your ignition so the drill bit doesn't slip and stay centered as best you can. Use some kind of lubricant to keep the bit Sharp check your depth and your balance in between the two cylinder walls you don't want to ruin any part of the chassis that holds your locking cylinder. Your goal is to basically get rid of the locking cylinder by drilling it out and then prying the remnants away so you can replace it. Once you drill away the guts of your ignition it'll kind of Fall apart with a little bit of help and then you just slipped the new key cylinder in. Keep in mind your goal is to remove the cylinder not destroy your car. As you're drilling this out you'll understand. Try not to do this part drunk it may turn out poorly.
Good luck gods speed.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Default Its garbage already ...

Originally Posted by Lege46
So I need some advice, first off, don’t judge haha, so my key broke off in the ignition a while back and haven’t drove it in about a year and lost the key. Now enough is in there where if I turn it right with a random key it will crank, well I finally said I’m going to just change the lock cylinder, well the problem is, I got the key turned past accessory, got a pick and pushed in the whole and the tab went down I think, there’s nothing there, I could barley get a good grip on it with vise grips, channel locks, pliers, and ripped the plate off, now it just got marred up trying to pull it out. I jiggled tried every angle, I don’t know what to do. As I said don’t judge me and my buddy were drunk and didn’t have a torx and our thinking was “f it I’ll get a column bezel at the junk yard, so yeah and ideas would be appreciated, I don’t want to have to fish out the broken key and get a new one.

Get a medium sized screw maybe one for decking and a good bit to screw it into your ignition put some channel locks on the screw and pull as your inserting the pick in the release best of luck