2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bi-Directional Scan Tool.....Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024 | 11:51 AM
|
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the Amazon link. Do not know why when I entered "Vident ilink 400" all I got was LAUNCH CR123 or similar.
The ebay seller responded saying that my 2002 Blazer was not listed...???....bye to him.

Ordered via Amazon.

Thanks again.

Old 02-29-2024 | 02:51 PM
|

Hey Les and Christine,
Received my new ilink 400 the other day, got it registered and updated with GM.
Was able to connect to my '02 Blazer without any problems. I went to do the crankshaft position sensor relearn or variation as they call it.....and tried it three times, with parking brake on, foot on brake, but never got fuel cutoff at 4000rpm. Went above 4000 each time, but did not hold it there.
When I had a tech do this in the past, the fuel cutoff was just above 4000 rpm and it was immediate.

Any hints??

Thanks,
Lanny

Old 02-29-2024 | 05:51 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Hey Les and Christine,
Received my new ilink 400 the other day, got it registered and updated with GM.
Was able to connect to my '02 Blazer without any problems. I went to do the crankshaft position sensor relearn or variation as they call it.....and tried it three times, with parking brake on, foot on brake, but never got fuel cutoff at 4000rpm. Went above 4000 each time, but did not hold it there.
When I had a tech do this in the past, the fuel cutoff was just above 4000 rpm and it was immediate.

Any hints??

Thanks,
Lanny
Hi Lanny,

I've never done the relearn so I can't help much. Do you have the GM Service Manual instructions to guide you? Is what you expected what is described in the manual?

Old 02-29-2024 | 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Les has a recent post with the voodoo magic required for stubborn relearns.

George

Old 03-01-2024 | 09:07 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Les has a recent post with the voodoo magic required for stubborn relearns.

George
I've looked and looked and I can't find it. I do remember writing it. Probably buried in an unrelated post.

Old 03-01-2024 | 09:53 AM

1. Begin with Key on
2. Press emergency brake down just enough to turn on the brake light in the instrument cluster
3. Hook up scanner
4. Cycle key off for 10 sec or more and then back on
5. Start engine
6. Hold brake pedal down with left foot (through end of procedure)
6. Start engine
7. Clear all codes (do not cycle key after clearing codes)
8. Enter the crank sensor relearn procedure and follow instructions on the scanner. Do the RPM thing very quickly - jab that throttle down full but for a short time - don't let it over-rev much or try to control rpm above 4000.
9. Scanner will tell you if you are successful.

Note: See post #20. I had these out of order. Can make a difference.

I personally believe that PCM wont run the relearn if there are any pending codes, and that is why people often have trouble. This is why I say to do all in same key cycle after clearing codes.

I could be full of it - but this always seems to work for me using both HP Tuners Software and the Vident I-link 400 Scanner. Let me know your experience.

Are you still setting any codes or is the SES light flashing?

Hey, I just happened to notice that LannyL81 was here, and posted to my original first post back in 2014.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-02-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2024 | 10:07 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Lanny, I'm not familiar with the iLink and what prepatory instructions it gives you but if it helps:

1. Any DLC codes should be cleared before the relearn.

2. Engine should be at operating temp.

3. VCM/PCM needs to see brakes put on AFTER key is turned to CRANK position. So basically VCM/PCM needs to see brake switch in both the released and depressed position before it will allow relearn.

EDIT: Just saw Les responded also while I was typing. He is correct that PCM will not do relearn with any codes stored.

Last edited by rockp2; 03-01-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2024 | 10:26 AM
|

Guys,
Think I figured-out what I did wrong.....I did not press pedal to floor to obtain WOT. I somewhat slowly increased RPM to above 4000 then lifted off.
I was at operating temp, had the parking brake down a short bit, had foot on brake when I entered into relearn.
There are no codes stored or pending...that I checked prior.

Will try again and jab the pedal to floor this time.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2024 | 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rockp2
Lanny, I'm not familiar with the iLink and what prepatory instructions it gives you but if it helps:

1. Any DLC codes should be cleared before the relearn.

2. Engine should be at operating temp.

3. VCM/PCM needs to see brakes put on AFTER key is turned to CRANK position. So basically VCM/PCM needs to see brake switch in both the released and depressed position before it will allow relearn.

EDIT: Just saw Les responded also while I was typing. He is correct that PCM will not do relearn with any codes stored.
Red above was something I did not know, but I think it makes sense. I just happened to cover this correctly in my answer. So Kudos to you!!

Old 03-01-2024 | 07:25 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Hiya Les,

I think you just want to add another brake released then depressed somewhere after step #6 in your procedure. I just went out in the garage because I thought I remembered seeing a note in the TSM in the past that mentioned the brake had to be applied after the engine was started (cranked). Take a look at the second “Important” note in the attached.

Lanny,

Have you checked your Cam Retard to insure it is 0 degrees ((+/-) 2 degrees)? I believe the relearn cannot be done unless retard is within spec.

Quick Reply: Bi-Directional Scan Tool.....Questions