2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bi-Directional Scan Tool.....Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024 | 07:48 PM
|
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Have not tried to do another relearn yet, but cam retard is within spec. Actually this ilink400 was showing cam retard at 0° whereas my other scan tool showed it to be +0.2°....but still within the +/- 2° spec.
Thanks for the picture of the procedure....will do the brake release as is written and according to that, I do not have to mash the pedal to the floor....which is a good thing.
Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,

Old 03-01-2024 | 08:01 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Have not tried to do another relearn yet, but cam retard is within spec. Actually this ilink400 was showing cam retard at 0° whereas my other scan tool showed it to be +0.2°....but still within the +/- 2° spec.
Thanks for the picture of the procedure....will do the brake release as is written and according to that, I do not have to mash the pedal to the floor....which is a good thing.
Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,
Actually stabbing the pedal like Les mentions works also. I've done it both ways and both have worked. I think GM put that instruction in there as more of a safety reason (like the instruction to close hood) so the GM Tech doesn't end up crashing the truck thru the service bay into the showroom .

EDIT: The actual relearning happens during the deceleration phase. The crank is in its natural revolution basically free spinning without any influence from throttle/power being applied/misfire. It does this so the VCM can know the difference between a misfire and what natural "variation" is in the crank itself. So when you are getting the revs over 4K it is really only for the purpose of the time and/or number of revolutions it needs on decel to measure the variation. Whether raising RPM slowly or with a quick stab and release the VCM isn't really measuring anything on the way up it just needs to get to "the starting line".

Last edited by rockp2; 03-01-2024 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2024 | 10:15 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Good stuff RockP2!! I edited my procedure above so not to confuse anyone. Good catch! Could have been why LannyL81 did not have success the first time. I think my procedure is now correct with the order switched.

The reason I like to promote the quick stab and let off, is so the operator doesn't sit and try to hold the rpm above a high value again and again, by watching the tach (in case the relearn just isn't going to happen). But like you say, it's the decel that is important. Either way will work.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-02-2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2024 | 10:48 AM

Guys,
Think I figured-out what I did wrong.....I did not press pedal to floor to obtain WOT. I somewhat slowly increased RPM to above 4000 then lifted off.
I was at operating temp, had the parking brake down a short bit, had foot on brake when I entered into relearn.
There are no codes stored or pending...that I checked prior.

Will try again and jab the pedal to floor this time.

Thanks.
I think it was probably the order for holding the brake pedal. Sorry about that. Let us know.

Old 03-02-2024 | 04:23 PM
|

SUCESSS!!!
Quite easy when you follow the directions.
The first time I did not see that I needed to press the F1 key to go to the next screen for the procedure, which included cycling of the brake pedal.
Followed the procedure on the ilink400 screen, slowly increased RPM and right at 4000, fuel cutoff occurred.
Shut engine off...DONE!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-02-2024 | 04:30 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

SUCESSS!!!
The first time I did not see that I needed to press the F1 key to go to the next screen for the procedure, which included cycling of the brake pedal.
Followed the procedure on the ilink400 screen, slowly increased RPM and right at 4000, fuel cutoff occurred.

Awesome! Great to hear.

Old 03-02-2024 | 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by rockp2
Awesome! Great to hear.
Ditto!

Old 03-02-2024 | 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

SUCESSS!!!

Congrats!

It is nice to know that the ilink can do this!

Old 03-03-2024 | 08:42 AM
|

I was going through the various pages on the ilink400; came across one for setting the idle....hhmmmm...wonder if that works??....it was showing a setting of 650 rpm and the tach was showing something near that. I pressed the down arrow and it changed to 625 and the engine idle dropped a second later...wow!!.....it works! Changed the idle RPMs several times and each time the engine responded.....so once again that feature does work.

Anyways hopefully doing the CKP Relearn will take care of the mis fires I get after driving for awhile. I had replaced the timing cover six months ago, was expecting the Service Engine Soon lite to come on after getting everything back together, but never came on. But after driving on the highway for a while and then to surface streets will get rough idle and sure feels like misfires although has never set the SES on.
Will find out the next time I head-out on the highway.

Oh and very interesting to read that the relearn is actually done on the decel....sure makes sense. And I did let the engine decel back to idle after the fuel cutoff occurred before I shut the engine off.

Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2024 | 10:27 AM

I'll go out on a limb and state that a crank sensor relearn will never fix misfires that you can actually feel and make them go away - the relearn can only can fix false reporting or no reporting of misfires by the PCM. Which is it for you?

Sounds like you have felt misfires with no misfire reporting. You may be surprised to actually get a SES light now after the relearn, if your misfire is real.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-03-2024 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Bi-Directional Scan Tool.....Questions