2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Power Window question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Tom Plant is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer Power Window question.

I've decided to post after scouring the site extensively. First, great place, and lots of helpful information, but I'm at a loss- maybe someone can help.

Today my passenger side power window stopped working after being put down. I've checked everything out and I have 12v +/- when operating the switch at the motor plug, but there is no action on the motor (I haven't tried to hit it yet...) so I'm under the assumption that the motor is gone all of a sudden. Fine.

Here's are the problems, I'm not that great of a mechanic- I can swing a hammer, turn a wrench, but yeah. I'm also in a very serious cash-strapped position and having someone work on it wouldn't be an option. I've read everything here I can seem to find, and here's my primary question:

Is there a way to manually raise the window to close it. Just shut it closed and be done with it for the time being until I have the cash/time to work on it properly?

Secondly, How am I supposed to remove the window to work on the thing? I've stared at it until darkness fell (literally spent about 7hrs looking over everything) and I can't see a way to raise the window, remove it, or do anything.. and with it "down" I'm afraid to begin the process of removing the window regulator to then remove the motor, because first I don't see having enough room with the window down to get the assembly out of the door, and second, I'm afraid I might bust the window in the process if I can't get it to go up (or remove it) first.

Sadly, she's a 96' with 210k on her- and I live in Buffalo.. Winter, road salt, lets just say she's showing her age but she runs like a champ, and I'd like to keep her around for busting though the snow in the winter, so I really don't need an open window.

Thanks in advance! - Tom

Update: I checked some more stuff, and just for giggles, I pulled the 30a fuse for the windows, and of course all of them stopped working. I then decided to grab my meter and check out a couple other things. First I applied 12vdc to the motor in both polarities with no effect, and I hear no sound from the motor at all- I checked the resistance of the motor itself and it's registering about 16ohms. Other than trying to pull the thing apart, I can't seem to think of a solution, and I'm really worried about busting the window itself, or damaging the mounting holes trying to get the rivets off-- by my punch and chisel are sitting on the passenger seat.

Last edited by Tom Plant; 05-20-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: updated info.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:14 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Start by hooking power up to the motor, if its not dead you should be able to raise it and be done with it. Check the fuse first lol.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Start by hooking power up to the motor, if its not dead you should be able to raise it and be done with it. Check the fuse first lol.
Well I'm getting 12.08v +/- at the motor plug itself, so I suspect the motor's toasty at this point. All the other windows work fine, so I'm 99.9% sure the fuse is fine. - I'll double check it for simplicity though

Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Good point, hopefully pettyfog will chime in lol. He helped me with an electric seat problem. I'm sure there is away you can raise it without the motor but I'm at a loss at the moment lol.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Good point, hopefully pettyfog will chime in lol. He helped me with an electric seat problem. I'm sure there is away you can raise it without the motor but I'm at a loss at the moment lol.
That's a bit Ironic. My power seat stopped working about 3 years ago. It's always been on my list of things to take a poke at, but it's fine where it is, since I'm the only one who drives it

Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Try holding the switch and banging the door at the same time to at least attempt to get it up..this happened to me 2yrs ago,i recall i just removed the panel and direct hooked 12volts to it,and now 2yrs later the problem has never resurfaced.