2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blower motor crickets

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blower motor crickets

Well, it wouldn't be a Blazer if something wasn't wrong eh? Now that my truck is starting consistantly and running great in the bitter cold of the canadian north, my blower motor has decided it would like some time in the spotlight. It still works fine, but it sounds like i have crickets under the dashboard when it's on low speed...kinda squeaky... each setting up makes the noise a little faster, louder and more pronounced. Yesterday it went back above freezing and the noise was less audible..but today it's -4 and it's a bit louder again.

I've searched the forum and found the DIY replacement but no indication of cost or anyone else having a noise like this.

I'm guessing it's likely on its' way out? How much are they typically? How much labour if done at a dealership( I dont' have a garage )

Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blower motor crickets

In other vehicles I've owned, this was a sign the blower was trying to go to heaven. Depending on the difficulty of replacement, I either fixed it or lived with it. Fortunately, none that I did not repair ever died, just kept the noise.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 1994 K2500 on the farm has had this problem since 97. Fan still moves air without fail. Sure it is annoying and is a sign that there is a problem with the motor itself (loose bearing is the most likely cause). Sure you can replace it, but you have to really find out if it is worth it. If you cannot replace it yourself, you will need to get estimates.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

You should try some 3-in-1 oil or spray lubricant (like GM super-lube or WD40) on the end of the motor shaft. The shaft is visible on the end of the blower, and you don't even have to take the blower out to apply it. If yours has the rubber cover over the blower motor you will have to cut a little bit out and then you should easily be able to lube it up. It sounds like a dry bearing, so this should fix it. May be temporary, but you can always lube it up again.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely worth a try. We had tried that on the 94, but it was the inboard bearing in the fan motor that was causing all of the noise.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestion!