2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Where to start,98 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
tigerhwk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Where to start,98 Blazer

The air worked fine last year but not at all now, The compressor kicks in and out in 1-2 second intervals.
Only thing I did to the engine was replace intake gaskets over the winter but was carefull not to pop any system
hoses or seals.

Where should I start looking??

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A/C Where to start,98 Blazer

A quick recharge using a kit from Walmart or your favorite parts store should fit the bill.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Hooked up the charge,compressor kicks on for 5-6 seconds then out.
Concern is when it kicks off,Gauge goes to overcharge,when it kicks on it drops to nearly zero??

Help please

Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 AM
scott96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recharged my 96 with a redtek kit. the gauge was doing the same thing until i put 2 cans of 12a in it. when the the compressor stayed on after enough fluid was added the gauge did not flick around. i charged it to around 38psi. now its blowing cold air. becareful not to over fill.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Jumper the A/C relay to keep the compressor on all the time and fill until the gauge gets to the appropriate zone. You can also just keep charging until the compressor stays on.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Won't hurt that it goes to extreme overcharge as its filling?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

The pressure in the lines evens out when the compressor shuts off so you really aren't overcharging it. What you are experiencing is that the pressure is higher than the recommended pressure while the compressor is engaged. It really isn't indicative of what the pressure is when running as you have already experienced.

If the low side pressure drops to nothing though, it could indicate that your orifice tube is plugged...

If you jumper the relay underhood, does the system cool properly or atleast make an attempt to cool?