2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Call me a hack but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

I don't get why you think that dropping the tank is such a big deal in the first place. It seems to me that you are doing tons more work to cut a hole in your truck instead.

There are two straps that hold the tank up that are secured by all of one or two bolts each depending on your model year. It will take a maximum of 15 minutes to remove the tank the right way. (That includes removing all wiring and hoses and assuming all bolts are rusty)

As for having to do it again and again. If you actually bother to buy a name brand pump, replace the wiring harness as recommended, and replace the fuel pump relay also as recommended. Then you should not have to replace the pump again for the rest of your trucks life.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I'm really curious now. So if you cut the hole to just a tad bit bigger than the sending unit/pump diameter, just how in the world are you going to remove that ring that holds the assembly in place?

Stop wasting your time and just drop the tank.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
republic is on a distinguished road

Well that's the beauty of cutting the hole to small. Then you could cut it bigger!!

I like the idea. I've changed three pumps in the the last three years. A Suburban, an S-10 and a Caprice. Even with good parts I've been concerned that something would fail and I would have to drop a tank right after an install.

Looking foward to more updates.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

You guys must have never dropped a tank on a rusty ol mud trucks... The straps will break and need to be replaced. The lines will probably be rotted to the rubber hoses so the hoses have to be replaced. And lowering or draining a 41 gallon tank half full of fuel with a floor jack sucks. Access panel takes 1 minute to do.

Also helps if u have ground wire or other issues later on down the road. If you have a nice truck I wouldn't recomend it

Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

For the record, I am now convinced the 'hole' idea is much better than taking the thing off, unless you need major repairs (the old mud truck)

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

this is getting interesting. . . haha

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I'm still waiting to to the pics! I wanna see just how clean looking this comes out...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road

Ha! 15 minutes to drop the tank... your out of your mind... If you have ever worked on a car before nothing ever goes perfectly, especially an 11 year old truck from the northeast. And trust me, i have done the research on your so called, "name brand pumps," ya they blow.

I'll be buying a new cutting wheel for my electric die grinder tomorrow so i may have some updates soon.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:45 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

sorry guys, but there was waaaaay too much here, to just let some go by......

Originally Posted by okvortec
You're going to cut the gas tank, I'm calling it.

i'd be surprised if something didn't get cut, sawzall/die grinder, i don't care, somethings going down!

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Oh Puleeze!... You have got to post some pics of this!
screw the pic's! i wanna see video of this. where the popcorn?

[quote=abig84;247114].......some foregn cars actually come with a access panel in the trunkquote]

that's because the pumps break down so often! (i've owned three VDubs, this is thier biggest problem IMO)

Originally Posted by abig84
though i did have a friend drill into his tank on a 82 camaro trying to install a amp
oops!

Originally Posted by abig84
You guys must have never dropped a tank on a rusty ol mud trucks... The straps will break and need to be replaced. The lines will probably be rotted to the rubber hoses so the hoses have to be replaced. And lowering or draining a 41 gallon tank half full of fuel with a floor jack sucks. Access panel takes 1 minute to do.
absolutely right big. and yeah, i've had to drop a full tank in my Burb, thought it was the pump. after draining it, swapping the pump, it turned out to be a short in the wire, and popped the fuse. can you say double

[quote=JSBlenz9498;248148]Ha! 15 minutes to drop the tank... your out of your mind... If you have ever worked on a car before nothing ever goes perfectly, especially an 11 year old truck from the northeast.quote]

i'll give ya that JS, any place where you see any kind of winter, you can be guaranteed of rust trying to stop you.
now, after all the bashing we've given you on this subject, are you gonna share your results with us when done?

Last edited by old skool luvr; 09-24-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member
republic is on a distinguished road

Nothing has to be damaged. If there were only a half inch of clearance there is still space to slide a shield between the tank and floor to protect the wires and hoses from being cut. This is a quality idea and a great mod for those of us planning on keeping their trucks for a while.

Last edited by republic; 09-24-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Call me a hack but...