2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cat converter....questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Starting Member
BresBlazy will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Cat converter....questions

Hi there all,
I have recently had my check engine light come on, O2 sens needs replacing.....I cleared the code and just left it since I have not been feeling well and dont feel like dealing with it right now....

NOW yesterday I got home from work and noticed toward the end of my 30min freeway drive that the Blazer was idling a bit rough, then came the sulfur smell....I got home and pulled into the garage and yes the smell was coming from the blazer

I looked through here and think I may have a vaccume leak thats killin the cat converter....I am now not driving it and will look into it more this weekend.

lately its been running a bit sluggish and idling a tad rougher than normal...nothing anyone else would notice but I do, I got under there yesterday and the cat has some dark burn like spots on it.

any tips, tricks, brands for the cat that would make my life easier, any ideas if you guys think that could not be the problem, I could use all the help I can get, this couldnt have come at a worse time.

Thanks in advance guys....im sad my blazers sick

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Aww.. well. You might have a vacuum leak but we have a problem.
It would be nice to know exactly what that code was. I cant find one for 'Replace O2 Sensor'

And in my limited experience with cats that dont fail despite elusive vacuum leaks and other guys whose cats did fail, the cause was either contaminant in fuel or too rich mixture over long period of time. That sulphur smell is a tip off.

I do suggest you be picky in where you buy your gas. All gasoline is NOT the same no matter what people tell you.
Certainly stay away from Mom&Pops Convenience stores. The tankful from my ONE cat fail in over 500,000 miles of old car driving came from a run-down neighborhood Citgo.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Starting Member

ok well the code is p0147, codes says o2 sensor heater bank 1 sens 3, I know where this is, which one it is.....
I ONLY buy 76 or chevron and ALWAYS 91 (supream) I do not skimp on gas or parts, I always buy new and usually AC Delco...

THanks for the response

Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Well if there was a code definition 'Replace' that is it. But sometimes it's the wiring not the sensor.

Anyway, if you go to high volume major brand stations then your cat probably is going out. General concensus I've seen is overich mixture/unburned fuel.
You could pull your plugs and read them to verify that.. sooty, carboned up.. etc

If this had been a lot term problem I'm surprised there wasnt also a 'Performance code' along with it. Performance codes like P0146 apprently arent checked if there's a P0147

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...function-1839/
https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-32072/

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-17-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Starting Member

I replaced the plugs about 6 months or so ago....may have been a bit longer but yeah they were not lookin great, the rotor had alot of calcification on it when I changed that out almost a year ago....
its a pretty strong sulfur smell and yes I used to notice it more when I would go to different gas stations, but never like this, this is alot...

so what should I be using a lower grade gas...ARG