2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
Izzy207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Catalytic Converter????

So I drop off my truck to my local mechanic to check on a slight rattling sound from under the engine. At first I thought it was the heat sheild (if there is one??). But he told me that it is the converter. That there might be a crack in the honeycomb. Is there a way to check if the problem is the converter??? Just an FYI, the check engine light did not come on and the truck does not feel any different. ex. no hesitation, misfire. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks fellas...

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

DIY test = rap on the cat with a mallet or your fist and listen for a rattle. A mechanic can hook-up a tester (probably a Tech2 scanner) and test the cat for correct function. I'm assuming that's what your mechanic did. Yes, there should be a heat shield above the cat.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I have seen several Blazers with catalytic converters that rattle because the honeycomb has come loose inside.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
pigcop is on a distinguished road

My 99 Blazer has the same noise. Just haven't fixed it yet.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah mufflers do the same thing. if it does it all the time you can start the truck (make sure its a cold start) and just climb under the truck and hold it to see if thats where its coming from. you only got a few seconds before it gets hot

Old 09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the feeling. Thats how mine started out. As a little rattle. Then it turned into a big rattle. It got so bad, it was embarassing sitting at a red light sounding like the bottom end was coming out from underneath it. I got one off of a wrecked 97 and now its much quieter. Also my check engine light quit coming on. As the converter wasn't doing its job. I ended up putting new bolts in it as I had to use a cutting torch to get the old bolts off.

You could take the old one and give it a good shake and it sounds like its got gravel in it. Not a good thing.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

mine has a horrible rattle to it, plus a few leaks in the exhaust. Plan on getting a high flow cat soon and rebuilding everything.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

I hate to revive and old thread but I am having the same issue with our 99 Jimmy that we just purchased. The Cat is making the same noise plus the check engine light is on and the truck has a hesitation when taking off from a light and is rough on fuel. I was considering doing a tune up but after reading up here on the Forum (using the search feature) I am think replacing the Cat will be the best place to start?

The local muffler shop wants close to $400 for a new Cat but the local parts store can get us one for $195 which is a direct bolt on. Anybody have any issues with after market Cats? Does the Gen 2 Jimmy's have an O2 sensor after the Cat?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
...plus the check engine light is on...I am think replacing the Cat will be the best place to start?
Getting the SES code read would be the best place to start.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 AM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Good point, I will do that tomorrow and report back here.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter????