2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 AM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Also does anybody in Canada know of the cheapest place for a Catalytic Converter? I have price one out from a few places but maybe a board member knows where the cheapest one can be had.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

my cat is rattling like crazy too. im hoping that it just continues to crack apart inside and fly out while driving becuase i have no muffler on it now. i cant afford a new cat right now so i was thinking of helping it crack up inside and come out, any ideas? just curious, what happens to the second 02 sensor? oh by the way i do NOT have any engine light on either! isnt that cool!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Crystal is on a distinguished road

We think that ours is going bad too. Does it run poorly as well as rattle?

Just suddenly (like as of yesterday morning) its rough, making a God aweful noise does not want to start up in the AM (this is the second AM) and some black smoke when it finally does start.

We are In Ca. and sadly the converters at all shops around are 200 bucks. I would hate to replace it and that not be it.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

you can get vacuum readings before and after the cat. Or use an infrared thermometer the check the temp difference from the inlet to the outlet of the cat.

Mine just got clogged, as well. Seeing as how I don't currently have the money for a new one, I took the semi-easy way out and replaced it with a test pipe. I wouldn't do that, though, as it's against federal law. We don't have emissions checks in LA, so I'm good for now. It also helped out the sound of my 2.5" Dynomax catback system tremendously.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

i think Crystal has a leaky feul pressure regulator from what she descibing. she should check that out before she riuns her engine ffrom the extra gas. mine is leaky too and cause rich running when you start it up.

hey midnightbluS10 im just curious, is a test pipe just a straight pipe that replaces the convertor? also what year is your truck? do you have an 02 sensor after the cat to? if so does your engine light come on with the test pipe? and how does your truck run now? on another note, just some education, frederal law and the federal govt was illegal established in this country and started in 1913 when they took control of the banking industry and the printing of the US dollar. it violates the state government and US Supreme court. therefore the federal system becomes void and null in a State Supreme court. there are some vidoes on youtube of old film clips showing Kennedy saying about a discussion call the fed "the other govt" meaning its the other one in the us that is void....

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
...on another note, just some education, frederal law and the federal govt was illegal established in this country and started in 1913 when they took control of the banking industry and the printing of the US dollar. it violates the state government and US Supreme court. therefore the federal system becomes void and null in a State Supreme court. there are some vidoes on youtube of old film clips showing Kennedy saying about a discussion call the fed "the other govt" meaning its the other one in the us that is void....
Is this info just like the stuff you can find on the 'net explaining how you don't have to pay your federal income tax because it is also been 'proven to be illegal'? Let's not turn this thread into a political discussion.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
Also does anybody in Canada know of the cheapest place for a Catalytic Converter? I have price one out from a few places but maybe a board member knows where the cheapest one can be had.
you can try Carquest in Kitchener, just stay away from Crappy Tire (over priced & never have anything in stock). i have a parts supplier in Toronto that beats their prices on just about everything, and that's before my discount.

Originally Posted by Crystal
We think that ours is going bad too. Does it run poorly as well as rattle?

Just suddenly (like as of yesterday morning) its rough, making a God aweful noise does not want to start up in the AM (this is the second AM) and some black smoke when it finally does start.

We are In Ca. and sadly the converters at all shops around are 200 bucks. I would hate to replace it and that not be it.
was that just for the cat Crystal? and why are you sad about being in Canada, it's a great country!

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Is this info just like the stuff you can find on the 'net explaining how you don't have to pay your federal income tax because it is also been 'proven to be illegal'? Let's not turn this thread into a political discussion.
'cause we all know that politics turns friends into enemies.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Well I replaced the Cat and what a difference! The fuel mileage has increased and the engine seems to run much better and doesn't sound laboured anymore.

I picked one up at Twin City Auto Parts here in K-W for $195 (dealer cost) and it was a direct bolt on replacement made by Walker and picked up the the gaskets for $7 a piece from the same place while I was at it. Had the local muffler shop do the install for $80 and life is good.

Next up is the P0452 issue.

Last edited by ve3nsv; 09-27-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
Well I replaced the Cat and what a difference! The fuel mileage has increased and the engine seems to run much better and doesn't sound laboured anymore.

I picked one up at Twin City Auto Parts here in K-W for $195 (dealer cost) and it was a direct bolt on replacement and picked up the the gaskets for $7 a piece from the same place. Had the local muffler shop do the install for $80 and life is good.

Next up is the P0452 issue.
that's not too bad on the pocket. glad to see it made that big of a difference. kinda nice when you can actually fix the problem, not just reveal another problem.
regarding the P0452, i'm positive that that has already been started on another thread, do a search.
good luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM

I have read up on the threads related to the P0452 and tried a different gas cap with no luck.

I am going to have to bite the bullet and have my mechanic smoke the system and find out where the leak is.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter????