2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CB antenna lead routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default CB antenna lead routing

Looking for advice on how to route the CB antenna lead from the roof on a 4 dr. What has worked for others?

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

As an amateur radio operator(ham) I had all sorts of input as how to route the antenna.I chose not to drill a 3/4" hole through the roof and utilizing a grommet kit to keep the elements out.It also depends upon where one is mounting the radio. I use 2 radios in my Jimmy and had to run 2 antenna leads.The way I did it was to bring the coax into the outer B piller where the center door seam is and ran the coax along the top of the upper outer weatherstrip towards the rear C piller. At which point I pulled the main weatherstrip away from the flange,drilled a 3/8" channel through the flange to get the coax into the unit w/o wind or moisture issues. Push the rubber back in place then run the coax behind the dogleg interior plastic to the rocker sill plate,under the sill plate toards the front,behind the B piller,then under the front rocker sill plate to the kick panel,then up behind the kick panel to the narrow slot that the coax slips into snugly,to the seam between the A piller moulding and where the dash pad meet,again the coax fits nicely then along the leading edge off the dash to my radio location. I did this on both sides and has worked well for me for over 2 years now and makes it very easy to remove and install either radio quickly.This required lots of coax but the more coax the better(lower)SWR ratios! Good luck! Step 66

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM

From reading your description, it sounds like you have the radios on top of your dash...is this correct?
I will probably keep mine on the center console above the useless cassette deck.

The routing sounds good. I will keep the coax on the floor just under the carpet edge and door sills to the floor console. I need to take a look at where you drilled the channel for the coax.

One of the issues I have found is that all the mag mount antennas I have looked at all come pre-wired so either a large hole or cutting the coax is required. (It has been many, many years since I soldered a PL-259 connector.)

Thanks for the hints...I will check this out.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Yes My 2 meter & 11 meter radios are mounted on the dash-hence the easily removable base issue,all antennas lead to this without any major issues! I have covered as much as I can! But stay away from any mag mount-you will never get any DSL from that!-Which kinda defeats the purpose of having the radio in the first place!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 AM

I do not want to put a hole in the roof for the coax. And a clamp-on style onto the roof rack is not good as it is not grounded to the frame/body.

So what other choices are there?

And I have not been able to find this flange you wrote about....any chance of a picture?

Thanks again

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Go to any radio specialty accessory website! It basically depends on what you want to spend! I'd have to look again at what I did last year to make this work-but work it still does!