2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

clunking when braking from pass front tire area

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:15 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DimeBlazr
Yep, in the fuse box under the hood, should be one of the bigger ones, 60 amp i think, theres a diagram under the cover that will show which one it is.
tried that, still making the noise. should i go under there and see if anythings loose? besides upper and lower control arm, what else should i check

Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

I guess you should check all the steering linkage, have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and put your hand around each linkage end and feel for clunks and movement, also look at the idler arm on the passenger side and watch for up down movement there.
Another thing i thought of is the rubber mounting isolators at the ends of the shocks, could have one of those rotted and missing and the shock is flopping around in there...but you would probably hear it all of the time, not just during braking.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM

I guess you should check all the steering linkage, have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and put your hand around each linkage end and feel for clunks and movement, also look at the idler arm on the passenger side and watch for up down movement there.
Another thing i thought of is the rubber mounting isolators at the ends of the shocks, could have one of those rotted and missing and the shock is flopping around in there...but you would probably hear it all of the time, not just during braking.

yea i will have to do that, will it have to be on jacks when checking for clunks or on the ground?

is it possible that bad rotors could be causing the clunk/ clanking noise? last time i had my front axle done for brakes, they were only cut/shaved but not replaced and god knows how old the calipers are. in the 50k ive owned the truck, they have never been replaced. idk how normal the maintenance they require

Old 12-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Starting Member

The only thing that you would notice as far problems with rotors is warpage and that would be felt as pulsation in the brake pedal and maybe some vibration in the steering wheel, also its usually felt as soon as brakes are applied at most any speed.
I dont know much else to tell you, i cant figure it out from here, if you cant find it after performing the checks ive listed in this thread then you will need to take it to a local shop that does aligments and front end work and get them to diagnose your clunk.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:41 PM

The only thing that you would notice as far problems with rotors is warpage and that would be felt as pulsation in the brake pedal and maybe some vibration in the steering wheel, also its usually felt as soon as brakes are applied at most any speed.
I dont know much else to tell you, i cant figure it out from here, if you cant find it after performing the checks ive listed in this thread then you will need to take it to a local shop that does aligments and front end work and get them to diagnose your clunk.
yea true. a local meineke said "if he had a guess" it would be the control arm bushings and said itd be around 500. if it was that bad the original mechanic who i trust wouldve suggested replace the entire control arm, yea if i cant find it ill bring it back to him and see if he can figure it out, thank you for all your help and great advice/recommendations,

the guy at meineke also said if there was something wrong with the new bjs. that the people doing the alignment would have picked up on it. i assume thats true right? lol

Old 12-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, any good aligment tech will check everything first and try to upsell anything that needs replaced before proceeding, one reason is to make money and the other is because worn parts will waste thier time chasing aligment settings that are wandering all over the place.
On another note though, control arm bushings are harder to tell, whats goes bad with the ones ive seen is the metal sleeve in the center of the bushing rots out and eliminates the torque applied by the bolt thats supposed to hold it in position, then it wiggles back and forth and you get a clunk.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gjquinn2
actually sounds like your bearings when you apply on the brakes does your brakes release around 10 to 5 mph then grabs to stop?
as for braking, it brakes fine, no rumbling etc. the part i dont get is i can be almost stopped and let of the brakes and the sound instantly goes away.

when im at higher speeds its a fast chinking (thats the best i can describe it) then as i get slower from braking it gets louder and turns into a louder and slower clank/cluncks that sounds like it only hits at a certain part of revolution of the rotor

Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Starting Member

Ok, now with that new tiny bit of info i would say you need to have a good look at the rotors and pads, if this noise is consistant with speed then it probably has something to do with a rotating part. It could be a heat checked spot on the rotor where the surface material has chipped away, or you said they've been turned before right, maybe the person that turned them didnt cut close enough to the center near the hub and now the pads are touching that area that probably has chunky scaley rust on it. Best thing to do is remove the rotors so you can get a good look at all areas on both sides, at the least, remove the caliper and rotate the rotor through that window until youve seen the whole back surface. If you see anything that doesnt look like a smooth machined surface from the hub to the outer edge then just replace them. Also, there are thin metal clips that ride between the brake pad and the caliper bracket that hold and align the pads, one of those could be smashed or tweaked or stuck to the pad wrong so that when you apply brake it jabs the metal clip into the rotor.

So is this a clunk that can actually be felt in the floorboard, steering wheel or brake pedal, or is it more of a noise?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Ok, now with that new tiny bit of info i would say you need to have a good look at the rotors and pads, if this noise is consistant with speed then it probably has something to do with a rotating part. It could be a heat checked spot on the rotor where the surface material has chipped away, or you said they've been turned before right, maybe the person that turned them didnt cut close enough to the center near the hub and now the pads are touching that area that probably has chunky scaley rust on it. Best thing to do is remove the rotors so you can get a good look at all areas on both sides, at the least, remove the caliper and rotate the rotor through that window until youve seen the whole back surface. If you see anything that doesnt look like a smooth machined surface from the hub to the outer edge then just replace them. Also, there are thin metal clips that ride between the brake pad and the caliper bracket that hold and align the pads, one of those could be smashed or tweaked or stuck to the pad wrong so that when you apply brake it jabs the metal clip into the o

So is this a clunk that can actually be felt in the floorboard, steering wheel or brake pedal, or is it more of a noise?
yea sorry for the poor description, as time goes on the sound gets a little easier to describe given i cant get it out of my head haha. thats what my friend said when i described to him, that i could need a shim kit but good luck finding one. im hoping this week it gets a little warmer and i can take the rotor off, worst case i can always drop it off at the shop and try explaining this problem. this noise was the original problem i had brought it into the shop for when we discovered ball joints were bad.

also if i have to get new rotors, what would be a reasonably priced replacement? oem? or another brand