2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

a couple problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
Irish10Hockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a couple problems

problems never seem to end on my blazer, but I still love the thing...

1. after getting the fuel pump replaced to fix my no start problem, i had hoped to get some better gas mileage out of my vehicle. after going through my first full tank i did the math and was disappointed to find that i only averaged about 13 MPG with about 70 percent highway driving. i've become more aware lately of the problem of the truck getting up to running temp, the highest point it will reach is only about 145 degrees and the heat has been lacking lately. both of the hoses are hot, although one is slightly hotter than the other. ive browsed the DIY article on heater core flush and am considering doing that, but i also remembering reading something about air pockets and a way of getting them out of the cooling system by raising the front end of the vehicle and running it while adding coolant when needed with the radiator cap off? , an explaination of that would be very helpful since i can no longer seem to find it in a search. any other suggestions or recommendations would be great. the coolant level is fair right now, between full and add in the tank, i'm going to top that off as soon as i can go purchase some as well.

2. another thing that i noticed today was that the oil pressure gauge was a lot higher than usual, it is reading around 60 while running and sometimes slightly exceeds that. i checked the oil level and its fine, not sure if its related to the running temp problem or not.

3. finally the gear indicator lights are very odd, previously in drive it would be blinking and then not visible at some times and perfect for others, now it has turned into not visible in park, and drive, but visible in the others. possible bad ground somewhere?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: a couple problems

#1 - If the engine temp is only getting to 145*F, then that would explain your poor mileage and lackluster heat. The PCM will put in more fuel when the engine is cold. 145*F is far too cold for the PCM to get in normal closed loop operation.

#2 - Odd, but I do not think this is dangerous...

#3 - Sounds like a bad connection in the gauge cluster. Some people have been able to reflow the solder on the joints in the cluster to be able to fix this condition and others just replace the cluster.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member
Irish10Hockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, I knew that the running temp being low would aid in the low fuel economy. what do you think is the next logical step, try a heater core flush via the DIY article? or check/replace the thermostat?

as long as 2 and 3 arent potentially threatening problems just more of an inconvenience i think i'll just have to live with them for now anyways.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The thermostat is the sole device which regulates the flow of coolant through the block, thereby regulating the temperature of the engine. I would replace the thermostat and while you had the system drained, flush the core, radiator, and block out.