2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Axle 3rd time replacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Just because some company makes a part, doesn't mean it's going to work without consequences.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 AM
nonstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Soo...I can lower the front, put new cv axles in, coat the boots with silicone, then probably have the tires hit, so install a body lift.

or Sell it....For sale 98 Chevy Blazer with 2in RC lift $4000.00!!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1135287718.html

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a commercial parts pro at Advance Auto Parts and have seen quality go downhill the past few months. My question to you is, are you getting new axles or remanufactured? The new axles tend to hold up better which is what I replaced with on my 87.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
nonstop is an unknown quantity at this point

brand new

Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Since I cranked my t-bars all the way down I have not had a vibrations or problems like in the past. My front tires rub a little on the rear of the front fenders when hitting a pretty big bump at full crank. A sawzall would solve this but it really doesn't bother me all that much. I believe a 2" body lift would solve your problems.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Johns1987Blazer
I am a commercial parts pro at Advance Auto Parts and have seen quality go downhill the past few months. My question to you is, are you getting new axles or remanufactured? The new axles tend to hold up better which is what I replaced with on my 87.
New, used, remanufactured, rebuilt, it doesn't matter; If front chassis ride height is out of factory specs, (too high or too low), the joints will wear out prematurely, guaranteed!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
New, used, remanufactured, rebuilt, it doesn't matter; If front chassis ride height is out of factory specs, (too high or too low), the joints will wear out prematurely, guaranteed!
You are sorta right... CV shafts are designed to operate within a range of motion. It is possible to operate in the "upper" range of intended motion on IFS trucks without undue wear and tear. The longer the shaft the more range of motion that can be achieved, hence the wider track on the ZR2's.
The proper way to lift an IFS truck is to lower the front differential so as to stay in the proper "range of motion" with the CV shafts. Therefore it is possible for the ride height to be "out of factory specs" and still operate as intended. Or better depending on what you are trying to do with it.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Or get custom CVs made

Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM

I actually checked into custom made CV shafts but the price was gonna be around $1300 each with no guarantees.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What about all 4 ball joints, both outer tie rod ends, and both differential pinion angles? All of them are adversely affected when ride height is out of spec. If you want your Blazer to look bigger, park it next to a Chevy Tracker, or a Kia Sportage

Quick Reply: CV Axle 3rd time replacing