2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dorman Oil Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I replaced the lines on my old 2000 Bravada and had a very similar issue. Mine was just slightly resting on the line. I ended up repositioning the air box and then put a piece of 1/2" hose over the line to further cushion it. I did not get any pictures of it though... I wanted to keep vibration down. Even plastic can rub a hole in a steel line!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I replaced the lines on my old 2000 Bravada and had a very similar issue. Mine was just slightly resting on the line. I ended up repositioning the air box and then put a piece of 1/2" hose over the line to further cushion it. I did not get any pictures of it though... I wanted to keep vibration down. Even plastic can rub a hole in a steel line!
Ok thanks for the tip. I think that since I do alot of highway driving (see my signature), I should put in a cold air intake because one trip costs alot just for gas alone (also tolls, more oil changes, more fluid changes, etc). With the amount of driving, the CAI would pay for itself over a year or less. With the increased fuel economy, power, torque and fixing the clearance problem with the line, I can kill all those birds with one stone.

Sorry for another off topic question, but would a CAI (like a Spectre 9901 i was looking at) fit if I have a throttle body spacer installed (It's a Helix Power Tower. I didn't install it. I can't remove it because I don't have the original hardware.)? Thanks to all of you for all the advice so far. I totally appreciate it.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM

1/2" hose? Where did you get that and how did you slip it over the line with it in the vehicle? Looks like the CAI is out of the question for now. I am at college right now and I can't do any major vehicle work because:

1. No tools except basic, basic stuff in my emergency kit (Emergency kit has basic stuff to deal with most roadside emergencies. Large plastic case. )

2. The university cops would approach me if they saw me working on my truck in a parking lot (These are state troopers, by the way, not security guards). There are several cameras covering the parking lots alone. The cops have nearly 100% coverage of the entire grounds except the insides of the individual dorms. They see everything!

3. Don't know how exactly to disassemble the airbox or where to put it in a cramped engine compartment (couldnt even mount the compressor for the star trek horn (size of soda can) with the hoses and power).

4. Don't want to blow the money on a CAI. Need it for more important stuff right now. Don't need the extra 8hp right now.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just sliced it down one side. I only put on about a 2" section of hose. It was actually a scrap I had in the garage.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM

I mean that should do it then. It doesn't seem "forced" by the airbox. Just no clearance between the two. The plastic clip is flush with the radiator fitting, so I guess it isn't being forced by the airbox. If i can take the air filter access off, maybe I can do that. I'll go to Pep Boys tomorrow and ask. Thanks!

Edit: The corner of the line and the lip of the airbox (See photo) is where they meet.

Attached Thumbnails Dorman Oil Cooler Lines-upper-line.jpg  

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 11-03-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Ok Update (WARNING- LONG, BORING POST AHEAD): Definitely an interesting night last night. After class (got out at 8PM, left at 8:30), I took a ride down to Pep Boys. They didn't have any 1/2" hose, so I bought something just as good: 1/2" plastic electrical conduit. I thought it was fine because they use the same stuff on the radiator hoses and electrical wiring under the hood. I got back to college around 9:30-10PM after getting McDonalds. I opened up the air filter access and found the corner seal on the BRAND NEW FRAM Offroad (like 1 month old) air filter torn and bugs in the MAF sensor. I found that the airbox had already scratched the line and left some plastic residue on it. I jammed a small piece of conduit around the line between it and the airbox, making sure the slit was on the opposite side of the airbox and put a zip tie I had in the truck around it. I found the line was tight and not loose in the radiator (good sign) and the plastic piece was flush with the radiator fitting. It was very difficult to put the top on the air filter back on, but after like 10 minutes of moving the radiator hose, compressing the air intake rubber tube and moving everything else around, I got it in. I ran the engine for a few minutes and the area around the line was bone dry (another good sign) and oil pressure was holding at 50 PSI (after like 30 minutes of being off). Then I drove to Walmart at around 11PM and bought a new air filter and Sunoco for gas for today (also threw a bottle of Lucas Fuel injector cleaner in) Drove back and put that in. Rechecked everything. Took out all electronics (GPS, etc) because it was 30 degrees here. Cleaned the front of the interior of the car out because of my upcoming long trip. Locked the car and did my "360 degree walk around" security check (I always check the doors, windows, rear hatch/glass, hood, sunroof, the main plugs for the electronics (no dead batteries), and the removal of anything valuable from the truck.). By this time it was 1AM. Went back to the dorm, finished review for my quiz today, went to bed at 2:30, got up at 8:30, went to class.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM

UPDATE: Well it appears the lines are all okay. They survived the last 600+ miles of driving (plus a very long weekend of high-speed driving, including a roundtrip to home and back this past weekend, which is 360+ miles roundtrip (see signature)) without any leakage or fractures. It hasn't lost any oil since I had it changed about a 1000 miles ago (overfilled actually) Also I forgot to post the photo of how I solved the problem. Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails Dorman Oil Cooler Lines-1105090047a.jpg