2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap vent solenoid testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:52 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasondis
I noticed today my oil pressure gauge is fluctuating from 137 Kpa - 407 Kpa. When I give it gas it goes up and when I take my foot off it goes down. I tried all the PID's in CDP and none of them work for me not even the generic ones. One displayed 0.02 volts. Is it possible for a oil pressure switch / sending unit cause a misfire ?

​​​​​​
no PIDs for oil pressure for Blazers. AFAIK they dont exist. Rember..many unfiltered PIDs in Car Diagnostic Pro. What you found is for something else.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-30-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
jasondis is on a distinguished road

Thanks George Thanks Les

Old 05-26-2024, 09:54 PM
Starting Member
Default Hi George Hi Les

You guy were both trying to help me out with my 05 blazer misfiring a couple years ago and I really appreciate it. I never did figure it out and had a heart attack. So I just left it and had to focus on my well being. Anyhow I still drive the truck and it still missfires. I get around 200km per tank of gas lol. So I just wanted to ask a question to see if maybe one of you might know. In June 2021 when I started to have this misfire problem my ignition module went and I replaced it. Today May 26th I had to replace the module again. So if my math is correct it's been 2 years . I know if you look at my posts you guys had me check my cam retard. I'm pretty sure anyhow and everything was within +2/-2 i think that was the specs. What else could make an ignition module fail in 2 years ? I'm hoping that something common would point me in the right direction here and be able to find the colpurate of my misfire perhaps. Thanks in advance for your help 😊

Old 05-27-2024, 02:53 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What was the brand on that replacement ICM?

The quality of the power and/or ground might have an impact. The load from the coil might also stress the module. Heat is a major killer of electronics in the event that some thing is off there (heater hose routing, etc). Coils can act funky when they get hot.

Do you feel these misfires?

George

Old 05-27-2024, 03:10 AM
Starting Member
Default Reply

The brand was standard I believe for the icm. The coil was replaced 2 years ago as well and I replaced it with Delphi which is apparently the same quality as orginal gm parts.Yes I do feel the misfires. It shakes when I'm stopped but when I driving it not too bad unless I go on the hwy. I use to get th check engine light flashing but lately it doesn't anymore. Now I just replaced the icm with one from ebay (China) part. Good thing I had it or I would have been stuck.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:56 AM
BF Veteran

The brand was standard I believe for the icm. The coil was replaced 2 years ago as well and I replaced it with Delphi which is apparently the same quality as orginal gm parts.Yes I do feel the misfires. It shakes when I'm stopped but when I driving it not too bad unless I go on the hwy. I use to get th check engine light flashing but lately it doesn't anymore. Now I just replaced the icm with one from ebay (China) part. Good thing I had it or I would have been stuck.
The ICM failure could just be the aftermarket brand. You should be good on the coil.

Have you ever tried misting the engine with water in the dark to look for electrical arcing?

look under the distr cap for carbon traces indicating cross firing

make sure your distr wire routing is good and all the boots are tight. There is a cross over on the cap for the wires.

sounds like CMP retard is within spec?

have you ever done a compression test on this engine?

George

Old 05-29-2024, 02:52 AM
Starting Member

The standard brand for the icm I don't think it's a problem. I've been using their products for 37 years never had an issue but they've all been carbureted engines.

I have misted the wires before. I had brand new ac Delco wires on and they were leaking. So I replaced them with new ngk wires. I will do a mist test again and see.
Under the cap has never looked good ever since i been having problems. I can see the contacts don't look good and brown mark from acring on the routing underneath and have replaced it several times using ac Delco and standard caps and rotors.

All routing for the wires is excellent. I'm not sure what you mean by crossover wires on the cap but if your referring to the routing of the terminals built into the cap then yes they are routed within the cap.

I haven't done a compression test on the motor. Its a pain in the *** everything is so tight and I'm in a condo now which makes things a little difficult for me.

My problems all started one day when I got cut off and hammered it one day. I could smell a foul smell and ever since the truck started running like a bag.

Question ...I've been looking at this VCX Nano scan tool for 56 usd's. Do you think this would help me diagnosis my problem ? I'm just wondering is the crank relearn was done correctly when I took it to get done. I guess there would be no way to know forsure ? Do you think that cause a misfire issue ? I know it runs in limp mode without it. Just not sure if it would cause a misfire issue. I'm totally stumped. I've been working on vehicles for 37 years built many muscle cars without issues. I have 5 years of schooling under my belt. You can put a car in pieces in front of me and I'll put it together and make it run perfectly. This truck is almost ready for the bone yard because the body is falling apart but I could keep driving it if I can figure out the misfire issue. All my vehicles have never seen a garage other then the crank relearn on this one and certification on all my other ones. I do everything myself. I value your opinion ☺️

Thanks George

Last edited by jasondis; 05-29-2024 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:37 AM
BF Veteran

The standard brand for the icm I don't think it's a problem. I've been using their products for 37 years never had an issue but they've all been carbureted engines.

I have misted the wires before. I had brand new ac Delco wires on and they were leaking. So I replaced them with new ngk wires. I will do a mist test again and see.
Under the cap has never looked good ever since i been having problems. I can see the contacts don't look good and brown mark from acring on the routing underneath and have replaced it several times using ac Delco and standard caps and rotors.

All routing for the wires is excellent. I'm not sure what you mean by crossover wires on the cap but if your referring to the routing of the terminals built into the cap then yes they are routed within the cap.

I haven't done a compression test on the motor. Its a pain in the *** everything is so tight and I'm in a condo now which makes things a little difficult for me.

My problems all started one day when I got cut off and hammered it one day. I could smell a foul smell and ever since the truck started running like a bag.

Question ...I've been looking at this VCX Nano scan tool for 56 usd's. Do you think this would help me diagnosis my problem ? I'm just wondering is the crank relearn was done correctly when I took it to get done. I guess there would be no way to know forsure ? Do you think that cause a misfire issue ? I know it runs in limp mode without it. Just not sure if it would cause a misfire issue. I'm totally stumped. I've been working on vehicles for 37 years built many muscle cars without issues. I have 5 years of schooling under my belt. You can put a car in pieces in front of me and I'll put it together and make it run perfectly. This truck is almost ready for the bone yard because the body is falling apart but I could keep driving it if I can figure out the misfire issue. All my vehicles have never seen a garage other then the crank relearn on this one and certification on all my other ones. I do everything myself. I value your opinion ☺️

Thanks George
Thats interesting, you saw electrical arcing with brand new AC Delco ignition wires but new NGK wires resolved that problem?

What I mean by crossover is that the wire sequence on the distr cap is out of order on one side. Maybe you should do a resistive test on those wires to make sure you don’t have a bad one.

Tell me more about the event that started all this. I am not sure what hammered means.

Is CMP retard within spec?

The crank sensor relearn affects misfire data but I don’t know if it can cause felt misfires. Les, could you comment on this please.

I am not familiar with that scanner but confirming the relearn and more diagnostic data like graphing might help get to the bottom of this. Les, are you familiar with this scanner?

George

Old 05-29-2024, 11:09 AM
Starting Member

What I mean by hammered it is heavy acceleration.
You had me check the cmp with the bafx scan tool and told me it had to be with in -/+ 2 which it is.
As far as the wires go I've checked the order over and over again and when i did replace them i did one at a time to makesure I didn't screw up.

this is the correct firing order right ?

Last edited by jasondis; 05-29-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:55 PM
Starting Member

Well I found my ignition problem. I guess because I had my distributor tie down modified the number 4 wirer was touching the transmission dip stick and arcing. It wasn't easy to see because it's was right against the dip stick tube. Now I don't have as much misfiring. I'm thinking recheck it again with mist and seeing if I can see if i have anymore spots and or hook up the scanner again and see if I see any misfiring.Then I know that cap rotor need replacing and maybe put a piece of garden hose with tie wraps over the dip stick tube for safe measure and zip tie the wire away and also replace that wire. They were only on for about two months. What's your opinion on the wires that was arcing ? Do you think that wire is shot or still good ? I guess I couldn't hurt to check with my ohm meter. Also should I recheck the cmp again ? I guess it wouldn't hurt as well. If I didn't have bad luck I guess I wouldn't have any at all 😂.

Last edited by jasondis; 05-29-2024 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Evap vent solenoid testing