2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap vent solenoid testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 03:20 PM
Starting Member
jasondis is on a distinguished road

I've been monitoring the ECT and don't see anything unusual but I'm still gonna keep an eye on them. Driving normally I see 90c/194f to 92c /197f but I have seen it range from 88c/190f to 99c/210f as well.

Today I setup a misfire counter normal city driving 25-30 mph I see that #3 is misfiring on idle randomly but when I'm driving I barely see it misfire on #3 at all mainly stays at zero. When I go on the hwy I see is misfire on #3 and misfire on #2 and #6 bigtime. I also noticed on idle my MAF reading is fluctuating .01 constantly. I did take it on the hwy twice to do the 1-2 shift test and the first time I see 60 g/s and the second time I seen 129 g/s I noticed the max reading showed 145 g/s and found that strange because i never seen 145g/s. All test were done using CDP. I was wondering what your opinion of these test are George ?

Thanks
Jason

Old 10-23-2022, 03:46 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasondis
I've been monitoring the ECT and don't see anything unusual but I'm still gonna keep an eye on them. Driving normally I see 90c/194f to 92c /197f but I have seen it range from 88c/190f to 99c/210f as well.

Today I setup a misfire counter normal city driving 25-30 mph I see that #3 is misfiring on idle randomly but when I'm driving I barely see it misfire on #3 at all mainly stays at zero. When I go on the hwy I see is misfire on #3 and misfire on #2 and #6 bigtime. I also noticed on idle my MAF reading is fluctuating .01 constantly. I did take it on the hwy twice to do the 1-2 shift test and the first time I see 60 g/s and the second time I seen 129 g/s I noticed the max reading showed 145 g/s and found that strange because i never seen 145g/s. All test were done using CDP. I was wondering what your opinion of these test are George ?

Thanks
Jason
Too many PIDs being monitored at one time. Slow scan rate causes you to miss the maximum value.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Only thing I can tell you to do is to power off your phone and pull the BAFX OBD2 adapter. Then plug the BAFX back in, turn the key on, and then start your phone. Once phone is booted, start torque light and it should automatically connect.

George, please remember that we only get about 25 pid reads per second on the BAFX. If you spread this between many PIDs, the scan rate gets very slow. 12 PIDs will get you a scan rate of about 2 data points/second. Pretty slow for rapidly changing MAF and RPM and O2 sensors and fuel trims. But fine for misfire counters and ECT pids. Wired scanners are a lot faster, and I think that is what you are used to.
Les

Good point on the slow update rate, I need to keep that in mind.

George

Old 10-23-2022, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran

What are your misfire counts on each cylinder?

Temp looks OK.

A MAF of 145g/s is good, depending on air intake temp and shift rpm but based on "usual" values you should be good. Also means that your engine is breathing properly.I dont know how fast the digital display value up dates thats why we look at the max value, assuming that the software caught the maximum value at the moment of the shift. Also based on Les' comments sounds like single or few gauges works better for fast changing parameters with BAFX based software. He has more experience with these than I do, as he said I use a wired scanner primarily.

George

Old 10-23-2022, 04:27 PM

Here's how to use Car Diagnostic Pro to display just the PIDs you can quickly choose, on a single page - easy peasy. Also how to easily set it up to graph things like O2 sensors, fuel trims - anything that changes rapidly. I find very little use for making of gauges - too much work and then you have to monitor all that you have made. Good luck!

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-23-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Also based on Les' comments sounds like single or few gauges works better for fast changing parameters with BAFX based software. He has more experience with these than I do, as he said I use a wired scanner primarily.

George
Yep, I get around 80-90 scans/sec on wired Scan XL Pro on a laptop, but only 25/sec on BAFX with Torque on a phone. This should be compared to the 5/sec I got with my first pre-BAFX Bluetooth adapter. Anything displayed with that sad adapter (that was changing) looked really herky-jerky, and displaying more than a couple of changing PIDs made it impossible to monitor accurately. For Bluetooth, the BAFX seems to be as fast as it gets, reliable, and its cheap too.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:20 PM
Starting Member

I will try it using only MAF and RPM. Thanks Les

Old 10-23-2022, 10:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
What are your misfire counts on each cylinder?

Temp looks OK.

A MAF of 145g/s is good, depending on air intake temp and shift rpm but based on "usual" values you should be good. Also means that your engine is breathing properly.I dont know how fast the digital display value up dates thats why we look at the max value, assuming that the software caught the maximum value at the moment of the shift. Also based on Les' comments sounds like single or few gauges works better for fast changing parameters with BAFX based software. He has more experience with these than I do, as he said I use a wired scanner primarily.

George

misfire on #3 was 3-5 but #2 and #6 I could see 74 misfires on each.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:20 PM
Starting Member

I noticed today my oil pressure gauge is fluctuating from 137 Kpa - 407 Kpa. When I give it gas it goes up and when I take my foot off it goes down. I tried all the PID's in CDP and none of them work for me not even the generic ones. One displayed 0.02 volts. Is it possible for a oil pressure switch / sending unit cause a misfire ?

​​​​​​

Last edited by jasondis; 10-30-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:51 PM
BF Veteran

Those are pretty typical oil pressure numbers for a high mileage Blazer with some wear. Some transition to 10w30 in hotter climate if thats a concern but many will argue oil viscosity for days. The best way to confirm oil pressure if you are concerned is a mechanical gauge. 20 psi oil pressure at idle should not cause a misfire.

George

Quick Reply: Evap vent solenoid testing