2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap vent solenoid testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 04:32 PM
Starting Member
jasondis is on a distinguished road

Poor vacuum to me means stumbling. I'd like to look into the ECT sensor further and make sure that it's working correctly. I've changed every sensor on this truck except the ECT and vent valve siloid. From what I've been reading this ECT sensor has all the symptoms I've been experiencing and plays a big part on how the engine performs. If that checks out then I can move on to misfire counters and see if or what cylinders are misfiring. What's your opinion on that approach ?

Old 10-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Starting Member

Also, try to get that max throttle 1-2 shift point MAF max reading.

How do I do this test ?

Old 10-19-2022, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasondis
Poor vacuum to me means stumbling. I'd like to look into the ECT sensor further and make sure that it's working correctly. I've changed every sensor on this truck except the ECT and vent valve siloid. From what I've been reading this ECT sensor has all the symptoms I've been experiencing and plays a big part on how the engine performs. If that checks out then I can move on to misfire counters and see if or what cylinders are misfiring. What's your opinion on that approach ?
That works. Yes a bad ECT input affects fuel delivery.

George

Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran

Also, try to get that max throttle 1-2 shift point MAF max reading.

How do I do this test ?
Get set up with that gauge panel we devised and make sure that the min max on the MAF gauge is reset. Then get on the highway after the truck is warmed up and go full throttle until you shift into second gear, then record the max MAF reading.

George

Old 10-19-2022, 05:04 PM
Starting Member

OK I want to make sure I'm understand you correctly. You want me to pull this up ?

How do I reset it ? Doesn't it reset automatically when I load it ? Now I'll be driving so I guess I'll have to get someone else to record the maximum value when it shifts into second gear right ? And you said full throttle ...so pedal right to the floor ? I'd like to do this test after I'm see if the ECT sensor is working properly because my prop shaft bearing is on its way out and when I put a heavy Load on it. It doesn't sound good.

Last edited by jasondis; 10-19-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran

You can either have someone alse watch the gauge and spot the max value or even better let the min max counters catch it. Those are the little numbers at the bottom of the digital gauge. I dont remember how they get reset, maybe its the default when they load, I'll look later. Yes pedal to the floor until the 1-2 shift on a warm engine on a safe stretch of road. On this MAF its 6.28 but we are looking for 130 g/sec or more.

George

Old 10-19-2022, 05:25 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Only thing I can tell you to do is to power off your phone and pull the BAFX OBD2 adapter. Then plug the BAFX back in, turn the key on, and then start your phone. Once phone is booted, start torque light and it should automatically connect.

George, please remember that we only get about 25 pid reads per second on the BAFX. If you spread this between many PIDs, the scan rate gets very slow. 12 PIDs will get you a scan rate of about 2 data points/second. Pretty slow for rapidly changing MAF and RPM and O2 sensors and fuel trims. But fine for misfire counters and ECT pids. Wired scanners are a lot faster, and I think that is what you are used to.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-19-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:38 PM
Starting Member

I can't get torque lite to work. I've tried different phones and it just won't work for me. I won't connect no matter what I try. I've email the BAFX manufacturer and they don't know why. So I just don't bother with torque. Is that the only test for the MAF ?

Old 10-19-2022, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Flashing CEL & ECT - #7. He has also had a MAF code.
i see it now. Thanks

Old 10-19-2022, 05:45 PM

I can't get torque lite to work. I've tried different phones and it just won't work for me. I won't connect no matter what I try. I've email the BAFX manufacturer and they don't know why. So I just don't bother with torque. Is that the only test for the MAF ?
make Amazon give you another - just do a return. It is a bluetooth one, not wifi - right? Android phone, right? You have torque set for bluetooth, right? Its the default.

Another thing to keep in mind. If one scanner software is kept running in the background and just closed, it can interfere with connecting with another. Only way to be sure is to power off phone or manually kill the program. This is stuff I have noticed when running multiple obd2 apps that use the same device.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-19-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Evap vent solenoid testing