2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Extension shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
russtheboatguy is on a distinguished road
Default Extension shaft removal

Hey guys I have researched the forum and found a lot of info I needed and for that thanx to everyone. have a 96 4d 4wd and I apparantly broke the end off the shaft that the actuator cable attaches to. I found some info about having to knock out a ball joint to pull the cv, but which, upper or lower ? I have everyhing ready (removed axle nut, caliper) but I just need a little push in the direction from here. I'm sure it is posted somewhere it's just hard to find time to research all the good info. Thank you guys and Ima newbie on here so cut the ol man some slack. I'll try to get a pick on here of mine for my avatar.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to remove the three bolts that hold the hub onto the steering knuckle rather than break a ball joint loose, but that is just me. Once you do that, you should have enough room to remove the CV joint.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Awesome. Thank you. Now, I'm going to remove the snap ring and pull the joint out away from the truck ? Then the tube can be removed ? Sorry guy, I'm just used to stright axles. My other was an 85 k5. Boy I misser.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Ok. This weekend I plan to pull the cv and extension tube. Any reccomendations on where to buy the part? Salvage yards around here want to sell you a whole diff. I can get one from the dealer, but who wants to pay the price if you don't have to ? And can you buy just the fork shaft or does it come with the fork?