2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Flasher ticks w/o turn signal on

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:33 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default Flasher ticks w/o turn signal on

Hello all I've reviewed the threads on here and my need to know how diagnose the issue.

I thought it was a flasher relay issue but the new relay ticks more than the old one. Any tips on how to get the green strap back on?

I have seen it could be the multi switch or the hazard switch. How can I test them? I have to be quick to get this done as it's my sons daily driver.

Here are the symptoms:

This morning there was smoke at the hazard switch (not told this until I had changed the switch)

The turn signals, hazards and brake lights all work. Well they turn signals worked until my son pulled the fuse...I have an issue with this.

The only other electrical issues are the reverse light circuit has a dead short in it and a blown fuse and the AM stations don't work on the radio,

It's a 2001 Blazer very base model without electric door locks and windows.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member
sabre420 is on a distinguished road

My 96 had this issue and it was the multiswitch. The turn signal/ wipers/ cruise control multiswitch and hazard switch is one piece with a wire harness coming out of it going way down by the pedals. I don't know if there's a good way to test the switch but you can rule out everything else. The turn signal relay and the hazard relay are the same type and theyre right next to each other (at least on a 96). You can swap them to rule out a relay. Make sure all 6 turn signal bulbs are good. If you tried multiple relays and all bulbs are good I would probably bite the bullet and replace the switch. Pretty difficult job for such a minor part. You gotta take the steering column apart and get at the panels by the pedals. The wire harness from the multiswitch bolts onto a big junction block thing.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Same problem, had it happen 3 times so far. I've just gotten them at the wreckers tho.

as stated in the previous reply. 99% sure it's your turn signal lever.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the 2nd Gens, more often than not, this is caused by a faulty and/or corroded hazard switch section of the multifunction switch. The hazard switch is available separately under
Dorman 924-608 Dorman 924-608
(and various other sources - best to check for your actual application before ordering though). You'll want to use a liberal coating of dielectric grease when installing the replacement switch.

In my time on this forum, I have seen a few members that have replaced the hazard switch and ended up having to do the whole multifunction switch as the damage went beyond just the hazard switch. I can count them on one hand though, but figured I would mention it. If the hazard switch doesn't do it, at least you tried the quick & easy $12 fix before buying the whole thing and going through it's replacement.