2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Guage trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonsee
Man, I wish you could!

Ok, where would you start?
How about \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ ?
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Over simplified method: Drop the tank, pull the fuel pump assembly, replace the sending unit.

Unlike kick, I would diagnose the issue first. GM sending units are 0 to 90 ohms from full to empty. If you were to ground out the purple wire at the sender, it should cause the gauge to read full. If you disconnect the wire, it should read empty. Your truck has a fuel level buffer unit that could also be at fault. While I do agree that the sending unit is likely the problem, it pays to check out everything before going through the time/effort/expense of replacing a component without first verifying it is the cause of the issue.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member
Bonsee is on a distinguished road

fair enough, where do I find the sending unit?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Removal & Installation (Except 1.6L & 2.0L)

1. Fuel pump is located in fuel tank and is integral with fuel sending unit assembly. Fuel pump must be
replaced with fuel sending unit as an assembly. Relieve fuel system pressure.Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Raise vehicle and support vehicle. Disconnect fuel lines and electrical connections at fuel tank. Remove
fuel tank. Remove fuel sending unit assembly retaining ring or cam lock ring. Lift fuel sending unit
assembly from fuel tank. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW "O" ring and gasket.

Although judging from your previous responses this could be out of your league. But it is not all that difficult if your willing to learn. Oh and drain the tank before removal its a lot easier that way.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

As stated, the fuel level sending unit is independently replaceable from the fuel pump assembly. It clips onto the side of the fuel pump assembly and is available under AC Delco PN SK1188 ($98). AC Delco PN G23 ($5) is the o-ring. And AC Delco PN TR9 ($7) is the lock ring which has a tendency to need replacing due to corrosion. All part numbers pulled from parts-catalog.ACDelco.com and verified via RockAuto.com. Lock ring & o-ring also available under Spectra PN LO91 ($12).

Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Nightjohn4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Over simplified method: Drop the tank, pull the fuel pump assembly, replace the sending unit.

Unlike kick, I would diagnose the issue first. GM sending units are 0 to 90 ohms from full to empty. If you were to ground out the purple wire at the sender, it should cause the gauge to read full. If you disconnect the wire, it should read empty. Your truck has a fuel level buffer unit that could also be at fault. While I do agree that the sending unit is likely the problem, it pays to check out everything before going through the time/effort/expense of replacing a component without first verifying it is the cause of the issue.
I just put in a new airtex fuel pump in my 97 jimmy. I was so excited for my fuel gauge to start working and right when i turned it on the gauge read right. but the next time i started it, it read empty. Could it be that the purple wire somehow came out where i put on the new wiring harness?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Could be a wiring problem.