2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This could be caused by a combination of low fuel pressure and sticking poppet nozzles. Temperature can definitely affect the poppet nozzles if they are gummed up. Your fuel pressure is a tad low to the spec.

Have any of you new comers to this thread done a fuel pressure test? If so, what were the results? Better yet, why don't you create a new thread on your problem so as to limit the possibility of pulling this thread off in a different direction.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member
brad0510 is on a distinguished road

By poppet nozzles you mean fuel injectors right? I've got to tear into it at some point.....had a buddy tell me about some
Sort of cracked fuel lines. He said you would def smell gas if it was one of those tho......I've turned wrenches in the past
And would think if it was a fuel line it would have gotten worse over time. It hasn't got worse till it turned
Off cold.......the internals on the FPR are rubber correct? I could see where temp. Could effect that

Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By poppet nozzles, I mean poppet nozzles. The electronic injectors are in the central meter body and feed out to pressure actuated poppet nozzles that are actually located at the intake runner where it enters the head for each individual cylinder. These poppet nozzles can gum up over time and cause low temperature issues. Combine that with a lower than required fuel pressure and you have a definite problem.

Sometimes you can prolong their life with a good, professional injector cleaning (where they isolate the fuel system and run the engine off of the cleaner directly), but in the end, they'll mess up again.

The permanent fix is to install the MFI spider which moves the electronic injectors down to the intake runner, completely replacing the problematic poppet nozzles.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Beginning Member
brad0510 is on a distinguished road

Did kind of have a break thru yesterday......when I park at work I kinda back up an incline. Sure enough when I left work yesterday
It started just fine no issues. So I figured I'd try the same things at home. And surely enough.....trucked started up like a champ
This morning even in the colder temperature.......so they throws a curve ball