2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater blower stays on when ignit switch off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sonoma1
I have lousy verbal skills. Re-reading my posts, a lot of them come across as heavy handed when they were not meant to be. Take the "four module" post as an example. I meant it as "Yaaay! We have only 4 modules to check on the Sonoma., not 5" In print, it comes across as "Nope. You're wrong!! Only four modules!" I'm old, live alone, don't talk much and text even less, so posts often come out sounding different than I mean them to.

Anyway, can't find my endoscope. Might be at a buddy's garage. Might be a day or 2. I will not post it on Thanksgiving. Didn't realize that that this was "live" until last night. Are you usually on here till midnight, or did I keep you up last night?
Your not insulting me, i'm just trying to make sure we stay focused and on track. Post anytime, any day, I will give you time whenever I can. I enjoy fixing hard problems, its fun for me so I don't mind. The only thing I don't like is when we can't stay focused and don't answer the questions. We will find your problem, just keep an open mind, sometimes the problem is really weird and never been seen before.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 11-23-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member
Sonoma1 is on a distinguished road

Great. If I find the 'scope around here, I'll post a pic tomorrow; if not it might not be until Friday or Monday before I can get a pic. Either way, have a good Thanksgiving

Old 11-26-2021, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Just and FYI.

Still haven’t found the endoscope. Headed to my friend’s garage tomorrow.

Got the truck drivable again and did some road testing.

After completing each test, I stopped the truck and turned off the ignition. Blower fan turned off with the ignition after each of the first 3 tests.

1: Depressed brake pedal.

2: Invoked anti-lock brake system.

3: Engaged TCC.

Total of about 20 miles driven, taking about 30 minutes. Total of about 8 ignition switch cycles.

I’m not sure if I used the brake to disengage the TCC. (Hilly, winding 2 lane country road.)

4. Last thing I checked was engaging cruise control. (Not sure, but I may have disengaged the TCC when I tapped the brake to disengage cruise control (total disclosure.)) Blower fan continued to run after ignition switch turned off.

Removed and replaced fuse #12 (TCC, Anti-lock, Cruise control) - fan stayed on with ignition switch off.

Removed and replaced fuse 6 (heater/blower) and fuse 12. Heater fan on with ignition off.

Removed fuse 12, disconnected neg. battery terminal, waited appox 2 min., reconnected battery terminal, replaced fuse 6. Fan on w/ignition off.

Removed fuse 12, waited 2 hours, replaced fuse 12. Fan on.

I’m going to disconnect battery overnight and see if whatever it is resets. (It’s 34 and windy out there.)

Old 11-26-2021, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

As we have discussed there is a short to power somewhere upstream of these modules to the blower power wire downstream of its fuse. The repeated cycling and power changes may simply be disturbing and changing the resistance at the site of what I believe will be some corrosion or a few strands of shorted wires. Good luck.

George

Old 09-04-2022, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

The problem was in the brake light switch. Replaced it and the problem was resolved.