2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Highway Speed Vibration? Try this as a potential remedy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member
MrMopar+GM is on a distinguished road
Default Highway Speed Vibration? Try this as a potential remedy.

Does your Blazer have an annoying highway vibration that feels as if it could be a tire/wheel balance issue?

If so, read on.

My 96 Blazer had a slight vibration at highway speeds, seemed like it could possibly be a balance issue, in particular since I had eliminated a major vibration issue by replacing rear drive shaft U-Joints.

I recently finished a complete brake overhaul on all four corners. When I pulled the wheels/tires off, they were "stuck" to the hubs, and took a couple smacks on the tire with a big rubber mallet to knock them loose. After they were removed, I found that the factory alumium wheels and the hubs themselves, had a substatial amount of corrosion on the mating surfaces. This builds up over time, and as the oxidation layer increases, it imparts a tremendous amount of strain on the wheel studs as the oxidation is trying to push the hub/wheel apart.

There was more corrosion on the rear face of the rim than the hub, but the hub needed to be cleaned as well. On the aluminum rims, I scraped off between 1/32" to 1/16" of built up corrosion layer. This grows in an unequal rate across the mounting surface and can start to throw the wheel out of allignment in regards to the mounting surfaces.

I also found built up dirt, grease, and pavement stones stuck on the inside face of the rims, and in some areas scrapped off between 1/4 oz and 1 oz of junk.

Both of these conditions can have a substantial effect on your perceived wheel "balance", creating a slight highway speed vibration.

Once I cleaned off all the junk, it drives/rides like a different vehicle.

So if you have a slight vibration, take a look at what is going on with the wheel/hub mounting surfaces and check for junk buikdup on the back side wheel area.

You might be surprised!

When putting back together, consider applying some never seize to help prevent future corrosion.

Last edited by MrMopar+GM; 08-31-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
sgg51688 is on a distinguished road

im gonna take a look at mine now. ive had an alignment, and had two different garages balance my wheels. still shakes like a son of a b**ch. thanks for the tip.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just curious, but how long had it been since you rotated your tires? I do mine about every 5000 miles and have never had a problem with corrosion. Then again, they don't put too much salt on the roads down here in south MS during the winter...lol

Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Beginning Member
MrMopar+GM is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
Just curious, but how long had it been since you rotated your tires? I do mine about every 5000 miles and have never had a problem with corrosion. Then again, they don't put too much salt on the roads down here in south MS during the winter...lol
As far as rotation on the Blazer, never, but then I bought it used 3 weeks ago!

As far as original owner goes, I would say it had been a very long time, or by someplace like wally world where they likely would not look at such things and simply just moved tires.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

my 95 4wd starts to shake at 70mph. i dont see any build up on rims just changed my front brakes

Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member
redDragon96 is on a distinguished road

i work at belle tire. we have to grind all that crap off. not only can it cause a vibration but if you put your wheels back on without cleaning them you cant tightin your lugs all the way so when your drivin down the road your wheels come loose. lesson learned the hard way

Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Also - If you have a 2" suspension lift that is cranked up (or an extreme t-bar crank)... the cv shafts will vibrate at high speed due to the angle.