2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer

Depends on the relay. I don't price 'em before I pull them. One may be $8, the next one may be $80.

However, i grant that i've driven a lot of imports, and I've NEVER seen a relay in any of them that cost much less than $50.

But I still say - if I can make up a jumper wire in 2 minutes and avoid damaging an $8 relay, why not build the jumper wire? And why cut wires if you can pull a relay and insert a jumper?

I prefer mods that are clean and reversible if I ever want to change them. Of course, when I sell a car I've modified, I usually include wiring diagrams that document the mod along with the owner's manual.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 PM
goingnuckinfuts is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there, i see that your asking the same question i onced asked....the easiest way i found was pulling the fuse.....

Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 PM
bfever is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, just pull the fuse in the fuse block. Don't go bending pins. I believe the fuse is even labeled "DRL" The only disadvantage to this is that you lose your automatic headlights when it gets dark (if equipped). This is probably only a problem if your wife drives your blazer and can't figure out how to turn on the lights.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: pilgrim

This is an easy question to answer with 5 minutes' research in Google. However.....as a general rule, I STRONGLY avdise against cutting wires or removing tabs from relays. Either of these cannot be fixed quickly, and replacing parts like relays can cost serious money if you change your mind. I like nice, clean fixes that can be reversed in minutes and don't leave any permanent marks.

For a while I pulled the relay under the hood and jumpered across a couple of the contacts but then with the relay gone, when you turn your headlights on at night, only the passenger side high beam works... no driver side. So I tinkered around and found that if you jumper 2 of the relay sockets, you can get the drivers side high beam back. (Not sure which hole # at this time, but it can be figured out from the service manual.) I did this mainly because I didn't like some idiot at GM deciding how my headlights should work. To pull the jumper wire and re-insert the relay takes less than 60 seconds, and then everything works as it did when new.

After some thought, I figured that leaving my DRLs on did add a safety factor, so I put the relay back in.

But - there's a write-up on DRL deactivation for most GM cars here: http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

However, I HATE the electric eye system that turns on the lights at dusk!!!!!! Here's how to defeat it in my 1999 Blazer:

Remove the RF speaker grille that has the light sensor in it, unplug the sensor and plug a 1.6-2.2 Kohm resistor ($1 at Radio Shack) in across the contacts of the connector. Done. Your system now thinks there is light at all times, and your headlights work manually. This can also be reversed in a couple of minutes if desired...just remove the grille, pull the resistor and plug the connector back into the light sensor.

Enjoy.

just thought i would add this for anyone who wants to try this. a 2.2K ohm resostor did not work on my truck (1998). after researching a little more on some other GM websites, pre-99blazers require a 1K ohm resistor to trick the sensor. i still have DRLs but i now have the option to turn my lights on when i want.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
fla_blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just took out the fuse that says DRL, but i keep the fuse tho still in my glove box tho for i can put it back or i know where its at for i dont lose it.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That only works for certain models/years.

It does jack squat on my truck.