Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Adding an additional light to 2nd Gen turnsignal assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
DriftinBlzr is on a distinguished road
Default Adding an additional light to 2nd Gen turnsignal assemblies

I could never understand why GM made two reflector buckets in the 2nd Gen S-series turnsignal lights and then just leaves one empty. And of course when you get the clear turnsignal lights it looks even more noticable. So I decided to fix this small shortcoming. I searched on a few forums and haven't seen this done yet. So here goes..

First I got a couple pigtails for $1 each at a recent swap meet.

I took the TS assemblies, layed out some Dykem fluid, made a center mark and eventuall drilled a pilot hole.

Next using a step bit, enlarged the hole to 5/8".

Using a couple small flat files and notched the hole for the two tabs on the bulb socket.

The TS bucket material is too thick for the sockets to turn and lock so the back of the bucket needs thinned and flattened all at the same time.

It's pretty much file, test fit, file some more, test fit, etc until...

One done, now to do the other side.

Both done...

Installed...

I just need to wire them and buy some amber bulbs to compliment my amber TS bulbs.

Later, Doug

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work. Just for the record, this was the location for factory fog lights on the lower trim trucks.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice work!
and a very nice write up

saved yourself $150!

so yeah.... I whimped and bought these instead http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=73

sad part is... I think I like yours better...

0_o

Someone sticky this er something....

Last edited by Byte Stryke; 09-28-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: because I ate paint chips as a child
Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Not nearly the response here you got on S10 forum.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Nice work! I may have to look into this.

Next year I am buying some signals off ebay. They are black all the way across but are supposed to be slatted to let light through. Im not sure how well it would show through. Adding a second bulb would give me some insurance.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 PM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work... that was actually the location i mounted two of the six strobes i have on my blazer.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
DriftinBlzr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
Not nearly the response here you got on S10 forum.
I never seem to get a lot of responses for any topic on any forum I've ever posted on, so it's not a big deal.

Later, Doug

Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I did the same as you DriftinBlzr, only thing is, I didn't like the small bulbs so made the holes bigger & bought 2 turn lamps from a wreck & fitted them. Now they match & I have dual turns.
Next step is to fit a relay between them so they flash intermittently. I think that'll look cool.

Just had another look at your pics. Did the ones you have, have the 194 bulb? Which is why you fitted the same again. If so then my lights are different to the US ones. Mine are used as turn signals.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

No, they are turn signals and the other bulb is the larger 3157 type. The 194 bulb that's already there is the one in the corner of the headlight. The 194 sockets are easy to find new at flea markets/swap meets. The larger 3 wire sockets you have to get from a junkyard or try to find them at a parts store(and they're pricey).