2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition Switch Question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member
vaportrail is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition Switch Question??

I have an issue that I suspect might be ignition switch related, but as I read through many threads I am not as sure. Looking for some other thoughts/suggestions before I run out and purchase a new switch.

1997 Blazer 4WD - 172,000 miles - Original switch as far as I know

Had intermittent dead batteries that after checking the battery several times and finding good, ultimately ended up with a dead cell and replace the battery. Things seemed OK, although this happened sometimes after weeks and completely randomly.

New Battery for some 3 months and the other day, car will barely crank, then not even engage the starter, key won't come out. Put it on the charger, key comes out charges for an hour or so (10 amp charger), then starts up. Been a week and no re-occurrence. Can't find anything left on when this happens so I am suspicious that something is not powering down and started thinking about the ignition switch.

Because of the random nature of this, I don't know when to check for some type of current draw, etc.

Thoughts if this could be Ignition Switch related?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Sounds more like a bad cable connection, not a bad switch/harness.
With the switch, things like engine cranks but won't fire, dash doesn't light up/work, can't shift out of park, you'll be driving and all power is lost.

What you describe sounds like gunk build-up on battery cable connections, either at the battery,or the starter.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member
vaportrail is on a distinguished road

I had cleaned the connections at the battery, even with the old one and put di-electric grease. Don't see any corrosion and connections were tight. Also, something definitely drains it while it is sitting as the dome light, etc. do not come on when the door is opened when it gets into this mode.

Good point on the connections at the starter however. I'll have to check those out as that may help the starting, but not sure that will deal with the draining that is occurring?

Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff

Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute