2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent wiper function crapped out..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
05blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intermittent wiper function crapped out..

2005 Blazer, For past two years I have been dealing with intermittent wipers that would speed up on there own (dumb question of the year did 05 blazers have rain sensitive wipers) and slow on there own in the intermittent settings (made me think I was going crazy). Now intermittent function does not work, every intermittent setting places wipers on "low" speed Low, high and mist still work normal.

First step is to remove "wiper motor circut board" and check for cracks in the cold soilder.
After that I will be looking to replace the "multifunction switch"

My thinking if it is not the circut board its probably the switch.

Bearing in mind that I am pretty much useless with an ohm meter and don't want to be testing a bunch of wires, making jumper wires, etc.... do you think this is a sound approach as the problem should be in one of the two components listed above. (my money is on the switch... it has a sloppy, worn out feel when engaging the wipers and cruise control, but is still "tight" when actuating the turn signals)

Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Intermittent wiper function crapped out..

my money is on the circuit board but...do some research there may be a 'campaign' from GM on this. Similar to a recall do some searching or call your dealer-I would hate to do much work on this if GM would take care of it. JP[sm=hail.gif]

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my bet would be the circuit board as well.

I do not recall the s-series trucks ever having rain sensitive wipers. You would have a rather large sensor on the windshield near the rear view mirror if you had that feature.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Ethel is an unknown quantity at this point

I had wiper problems several years ago on a 97 blazer. They ended up replacing the circuit board under warranty. A year or two later, GM had a recall on numerous vehicles including the Blazer because of faulty soldering on the circuit board. This recall would be prior to your model year, but it showsa pattern of this type of problem from GM.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM
05blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I will check the circut board first. Yesterday they started working again....for awhile.......and about 1/2hr later started working again..... I guess for now I have intermittent, intermittent wipers...