2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

L460e issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:57 AM
2g95blazer is on a distinguished road
Default L460e issues

Originally Posted by christine_208
From what you described, it is very likely the 3/4 clutch pack.

Replacing at least some of the transmission fluid with new was pretty much inevitable as transmissions are heavy enough as they are and it is nice to reduce their weight by at least partially draining them, e.g. draining the torque converter. Perhaps also the filter was replaced which would have drained off some of the fluid from the pan.

There is also that there is an unknown history with the replacement transmission which means it could have been a gamble to install it in yours.

For me personally, I find it odd to consider not replacing the transmission fluid. I had mine replaced at about 90k/100k not long after I got mine and it lasted another 5-6 years/30k miles before my ill treatment* of it caused me to lose my 3/4 clutch pack.

However I guess on a high-mileage transmission, I could see how doing a fluid exchange could bring on the inevitable failure earlier so that you might as well wait until it fails before putting money into it.

* Not knowing if the transmission fluid temperature was excessive, towing 2,200 lbs in 4(overdrive)..
Ok,so i get it time for a rebuild. But I'm curious...howdoes changing out fluid tougher a failure like that? Just wondering. Btw I knew that replacement transmission's history. I took it out of my ' 94 blazer and it was working fine...seemingly enough anyway. One more thing, should i rebuild or refurbished?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2g95blazer
Ok,so i get it time for a rebuild. But I'm curious...howdoes changing out fluid tougher a failure like that? Just wondering. Btw I knew that replacement transmission's history. I took it out of my ' 94 blazer and it was working fine...seemingly enough anyway. One more thing, should i rebuild or refurbished?
Probably needs overhaul. In 3rd and 4th gear the 3/4 frictions are applied. They are the same part. They are applied for 3rd and 4th gears. It won't be a shift solenoid. If you pull the fuse for the transmission you should have third gear only. ( in 3rd gear both solenoids are off). So, pull the fuse, if no move, 3rd gear frictions internally are smoked.

IMHO fresh fluid is always better than old. Lubricates better, cleaner, additives are not depleted.

Good luck

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Some will argue that doing a fluid change will reduce the friction between the clutch plates by removing grit.

You can try to rebuild it yourself, have a local shop rebuild it, have a local shop install a re-manufactured one or install a re-manufactured one yourself. I considered all except for rebuilding one myself and went with having the local shop rebuild it for me. I might have saved several hundred dollars if I had installed one myself but I was not up for that much back-breaking labor. With the local shop doing the rebuild, I could have them do a custom job on the rebuild. I also had the install a transmission fluid cooler.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:33 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

New fluid has a detergent in it. Putting new fluid in an old trans. will clean, which most think is good. Unfortunatly a lot of people dont change their fluid like they`re supposed to. The new fluid cleans the crud on the clutch plates which was actually keeping them from slipping. Ask me how I know this. Bought a blazer with 200,000 on it. Thought i was doing the right thing changing the fluid. Within 200 hundred miles the tranny was shot