2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Which MAF to order

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Which MAF to order

Howdy,
Some of You may have notice, I've been cleaning my MAF sensor lately. Cleaning helped for a couple of weeks, but yet again I see the that the sensor is giving inaccurate readings. I decided to replace it. Which brand should I aim/avoid? Any tips?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Finally just threw in the towel , huh Mike... Did you eventually find the resistance values or did you just measure the frequency output?

Either way , hopefully a new MAF will get it straightened around..

Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Hey Jone,
I am surprised You still remember my question on a resistance Anyway, that time I took the digital trace with my DSO (in case You're interested here it is, and that is for a *not* working one):
Finally, I did the cleaning to the MAF in IPA alcohol and it made the difference. But within the days I am getting somewhat closer to the symptoms I've had before cleaning. I am pretty sure my MAF is offset for the low flow. Whenever I start driving, my O2 sensors are seeing a lean mixture on both banks so STFT/FT goes high and then, on deceleration, the O2 sees my mixture is rich and trims go negative.
It's not a big value, around 10% (that should be acceptable) but I personally don't like the feeling when You step on the gas and prior You get the full power, You have to wait till ECU recalculates the trim to a positive value and then You go. No big deal, You can live with that, but I don't like half measures. Like someone said "they always bite Your back unexpectedly".
As far as the cleaning had helped in the past, and driving with MAF disconnected is perfect I have the problem well pinpointed.

Just the question is there any good brand I should look for or a bad brand I should avoid? There are so much Chinese MAFs on ebay, that I'd better make sure before I place an order.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Now that's good stuff right there... I'll let others chime in on brands..I was just curious as to how you nailed it down...Awesome.. Thanks for sharing..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Personally, I would buy an AC-Delco.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:24 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Hey Jone,
I am surprised You still remember my question on a resistance Anyway, that time I took the digital trace with my DSO (in case You're interested here it is, and that is for a *not* working one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN73lhc5jF8
Finally, I did the cleaning to the MAF in IPA alcohol and it made the difference. But within the days I am getting somewhat closer to the symptoms I've had before cleaning. I am pretty sure my MAF is offset for the low flow. Whenever I start driving, my O2 sensors are seeing a lean mixture on both banks so STFT/FT goes high and then, on deceleration, the O2 sees my mixture is rich and trims go negative.
It's not a big value, around 10% (that should be acceptable) but I personally don't like the feeling when You step on the gas and prior You get the full power, You have to wait till ECU recalculates the trim to a positive value and then You go. No big deal, You can live with that, but I don't like half measures. Like someone said "they always bite Your back unexpectedly".
As far as the cleaning had helped in the past, and driving with MAF disconnected is perfect I have the problem well pinpointed.

Just the question is there any good brand I should look for or a bad brand I should avoid? There are so much Chinese MAFs on ebay, that I'd better make sure before I place an order.

Cheers,
Mike
Your truck in the video sounded like a diesel.
(I see you're from Poland.)

For my own sake, with readings such as this how do you know what the nominal values are with say live data readings or simply taking a volt meter to the sensor.

As far as brand, I would get Delphi (most likely OE and cheaper) or AC Delco.
2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER 4.3L V6 Mass Air Flow Sensor | RockAuto

You're also certain the pig tail is good?

Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
For my own sake, with readings such as this how do you know what the nominal values are with say live data readings or simply taking a volt meter to the sensor.
I thought of how to find out, and I found it quite simply. I just gonna need a good working MAF. Then I'll wire them on a bench - a power line, and a ground. Once powered, they shall both transmit the signal. I believe my own has a bit offset for low values, so I expect to see the frequency difference on my DSO. Then I could blow into, to compare characteristics.
Voltmeter would be out of use, unless it has a frequency counter.

Thanks, I'll go for Delphi I think.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I have a cheap MAF that I got off of Ebay and it works great. The only problem is that they are only good for about 1 1/2 years. I think next time I will just spend the extra cash and get an AC Delco one.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I have a cheap MAF that I got off of Ebay and it works great. The only problem is that they are only good for about 1 1/2 years. I think next time I will just spend the extra cash and get an AC Delco one.
Thanks. That is an info I was actually hoping for. I went for Ac Delco.

By the way, I've been browsing ebay offers and it seems the MAF I have in my truck (alu square brackets with a plastic mold in between) is obsolete - found just a bunch of a refuribshed units. The new units from AC Delco are 213-4527 ones. The newer model plug is wider and has more pins - that may look confusing - but a plug<->socket adaptor seems to be attached.

Any rumors why did they discontinued the old one...?
Brgds, Mike