2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

manifold glows red

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member
dekster is on a distinguished road

i didnt test them its just the air that comes out of muffler is so hot that it makes everthing in the back to hot to touch. i just dont think theres a restriction and how would a manifold even get clogged up

Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love it when your suggestions gets dismissed so quickly without any real credence being given to them...

If it were my truck, I would have removed the manifolds and exhaust system by now just to make sure that there wasn't any restrictions... Well, I might have welded on test ports at various areas to test back pressure first, but I would have at least made an attempt to prove or disprove what was suggested... That is part of the troubleshooting process...

Meh. Oh well. Good luck with your problem.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member

well everything u have suggested has done nothing but cost me money i have no money i have limited time and few tools lose the childish attitude thanks for nothing

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that you wasted money, but I suggested you check things. You went and threw parts at it without doing the necessary troubleshooting and now you are the one all pissed off about it and dismissing the very things from people that are trying to help you. Seems you need to look in the mirror here instead of projecting. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road
Talking

Wow does this guy even know how hot an exhaust manifold get????? Jeeeezzz so they glow alittle. If i put over 500 degree in ur hands yeah there gonna glow a little too. Just listen to what ur fellow blazer buddies are tellin u. We speak with wisdom and experiance, and most of all kyle he knows his stuff. And yes even me someone who has been workin on chevys(as a pro) for 10 years now even i think u have a restriction some where in the exhaust. Or a leaky manifold, but hey dont listen to us we cost to much money maybe your local chevy dealer will be cheaper i would try them

Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 AM
nitetrane98 is on a distinguished road

All I can add is that it's not unheard of for manifolds to glow even on well tuned cars. After a hard run our police package Chevy 350 TBI's would glow the entire length of the manifold. We warped the bejesus out of them occasionally but it wasn't from any obstruction. They were brand new. Of course, this was in the 90's.

I've always found that a lean condition is where you'll see excessive heat. That's how you burn holes in the tops of pistons.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Beginning Member

OK first id like to apologize for my actions I'm lay ed off moneys really tight this is my only car and its underivable still. and I'm lost i still don't think theres an exhaust restriction its running straight piped (it sounds like a tractor) and yes like i said it has one leaky manifold but its glowing on both sides and only leaking on one. i plugged it in to a scanner it had a extremely large amount of misfires so i replaced cap and rotor because it was toast corrosion had got the best of it still misfiring on #1 and #3 but minor. new mass air flow because it threw a low flow code but after i did that it was still glowing then it hit me it had a disgustingly nasty air filter my guess thats why it threw the code. after all of this work iv got it where it does not glow around town you get in on the highway and it lights up like Halloween. the only other thing i that i have not looked at is the resonator and the manifolds them selves but i don't really know how that would get clogged. can they? its only got 76,000 miles and elderly owned its not been abused but it did sit in a yard for 7 months without even being looked at. i understand if you guys don't want to help me. also they dont glow a little they light up the whole front of the truck iv had people tell me at stop lights your trucks on fire they glow like the sun.

sorry,
dk

Last edited by dekster; 08-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Pull the y-pipe and manifolds.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

coolant temp sensor was on the fritz and my apologies the 1 and 2 cylinder misfire not 1 and 3 . the plugs were defective its fixed now and running like a champ. thanks for your input