General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

flashing red light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flashing red light

I have a 1999 ZR2 Blazer. I never even realized it until I was riding in my cousin's S-10, but the small red security light that flashes on the radio when the vehicle is off doesn't work on my Blazer. I never even knew that it had a light, as it didn't work when I bought it. (I bought it in 2001 with 36K on it.) I noticed that my cousin's truck had a light, so I looked at mine. Sure enough, there it is. It just doesn't flash. It looks like I need to pull the radio out to get to it. It's probably not even worth messing with, but does anyone know how to fix it. I don't know if there is a part number for the bulb that is available or if I just have a loose wire somewhere. All other functions on the radio work fine. While I'm at it, the manual over ride for the headlights doesn't work either. (Push the dome over ride button 6 times, you hear a chime, and now you can operate your headlights manually.) My Blazer won't do it. I'm stuck with the auto lights. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:52 AM
DCFluX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: flashing red light

I have an identical vehicle.

The TheftLock security code in the radio most likely has not been set. The setting procedure is in the manual, but god help you if you forget the code.

It is my understanding that ZR2 models in this year came with the have a relay taped to the firewall behind the carpet that needs to be removed. Mine was already disabled so I didn't go investigating it. AHL can be disabled with the resistor instead of the photocell. With both DHL and AHL it is kinda pointless to even have a head light switch.

I just ordered all 16 lbs of the service manual so I will have to give it a good read tommorow at work.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: DCFluX

I just ordered all 16 lbs of the service manual so I will have to give it a good read tommorow at work.
Excellent! There will be a 20 question test on section 6E3 on Friday.......lol

Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

The TheftLock security code in the radio most likely has not been set. The setting procedure is in the manual, but god help you if you forget the code.
Right on......that light is an indicator that the theft-lock system is enabled...your's is not ...your cousin's is.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
DCFluX is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Excellent! There will be a 20 question test on section 6E3 on Friday.......lol
As long as it is 'Open Book', I should be good to go.