2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Moisture on inside of windshield...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member
Magman is on a distinguished road
Default Moisture on inside of windshield...?

I live in the Pacific Northwest, climate is typically wet and cold from OCT-MAR. About a month ago, in the morning I found the inside of my windshield covered with moisture to the point of wiping it away was like squeegeeing water. On colder mornings, ice develops on the inside. It is now like this every morning, wet, fog covered or iced. Any ideas what's going on?

All heater controls work as advertised, everything seems to be good other than the moisture collecting on the inside of my windshield. It's weird and annoying. Would appreciate any help!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Starting Member
jkyle187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the inside have a funny(non-comical) smell? could be heater core. Place paper towels under passenger floor mat and check it in a couple of days to see if wet. If so then heater core...

Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

most new cars automatically turn on the a/c when you run the defrost to help deal with fogging on the inside of the windshield

I had something similar happen on my B/N Focus about a month ago

it was really cold , got really warm outside then got really cold again

Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

had a old off road truck that did that, i even kept a squeege in the truck so i could clear the windshield. mine had a windsheield leak kinda by the front of the door so with no where for that water to evaporate it just goes to the windshield. if you park ina garage just crack your windows if you can

Old 01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

inside of truck could be wet some where. If you have any dry warmish days open windows and take mats out for the day. Also like above said, run your ac for a while

Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Magman
I live in the Pacific Northwest, climate is typically wet and cold from OCT-MAR. About a month ago, in the morning I found the inside of my windshield covered with moisture to the point of wiping it away was like squeegeeing water. On colder mornings, ice develops on the inside. It is now like this every morning, wet, fog covered or iced. Any ideas what's going on?

All heater controls work as advertised, everything seems to be good other than the moisture collecting on the inside of my windshield. It's weird and annoying. Would appreciate any help!

I'd bet the ranch its a heater core. put paper towels around the passenger carpets and look around the lower part of the dash for anti freeze / water. and like other posts here if it smells funny or like anti freeze it's the core. the core is on the passenger side. it's where the heater hose go into the firewall. if you take some of the plastic covers on the bottom of the dash you might find the fluid easier. if it's the core it's a miserable job. my next door neighbor is a service manager at chevy he did mine a year ago. it is a real nasty job. the whole dash comes apart for just the ten minutes it takes to get the core out. there are some products on the market to add to the cooling system from the "bars stop leak" line if it's a small leak. it may leak one day and not the next. you might get lucky.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member
Magman is on a distinguished road

I'm doing brakes on it tonight and it will be in a garage overnight. I'll check for moisture in pass floorboard area (sure hope it's not the heater core). I replaced this one a few years back, 9 hours start to finish! I also grabbed 10 med sized desiccant bags from work today. I'll see if that does anything.