2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

must bypass security to start truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default must bypass security to start truck

hello everyone. recently i put some KC Hilites on my truck and to put the switch in i had to remove the dash. i end up doing this about twice a month. this time though i think i did something to my alarm system. i have the stock one that came with the car. it has the little red light that blinks on the left hand side by all the lights switches ect. i did notice that when i took it out this time i did pull a little hard on the wires. but now the light doesnt flash at all. it used to flash twice rapidly to say that the vallet was on (alarm off) and just flash once every second to say the alarm was on. i would be able to hit the lock doors button on my remote and the alarm would chirp twice, once to lock it once saying the system was armed. and it would chirp once when i unlocked it or multiple times if the alarm went off without me knowing.

now that the light is off i cannot start my car without having to reach under the dash and hitting the bypass button. i would be able to do this when i didnt have my remote button near by and the alarm was going off, this would allow me to put the key in the ignition and hit the button and turn the key to make the alarm stop.

as of right now my car does not make any chriping noises but he remote still works for locking and unlocking the doors. i just have to reach under and hit the button every time i start it. if i dont the car will just sit there and not do anything. the alarm doesnt go off seeing as it is not activated

does anyone know the wiring diagrams for the stock alarm? i think i might have pulled a wire out of somewhere but im not completely sure.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Info on your vehicle would probably help. And I highly doubt that's a stock alarm. Are you the original owner? Got a pic of your key fob or this bypass button? I'd start tracing wires starting the the light and button and see where they lead. My guess is some type of control unit tucked up in the dssh somewhere.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM

sorry. its a 96 blazer LT. 4x4 4door. the works. it is the stock alarm. my mom was the second owner but the light in the dash fits like it was factory. there is even a manual that came with the car that i still have. i was going to run the wires back to see where they go or maybe just look for one of the light switches at a junk yard and snip and solder the new one in. maybe the switch is bad?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I too am doubtful as to the origin of the alarm you have in your truck. Do you have a picture of this light. Take a look at the wiring to the back of the light under the dash and follow it. If it isn't inside a harness, it is not stock.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 AM

no harness. the wires are just soldered to the back of the light and are ran down to where i cant see them. ill see if i can take some pics of the manual that came with it. i thought it said GM on it.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

not factory. find where the wires run into the dash. should be connected to a black box. should have a brand and model # for the alarm.