2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

my entire car

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 AM
johnnylobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my entire car

leans to the drivers side. its a 97 LS. i got it from my grandpa a few weeks ago i never really noticed the imbalance so im not sure if its always been there but i was parked at work today and the spot i was in was a little unlevel (leaning more to the drivers side) and the drop on the body was dramatic at least an inch, mabye two. but in a normal parking spot it wasnt SO bad but still noticable. but still. when im driving and hit a right turn the drivers side feels a serious drop but when making left turns you dont feel a tilt at all. it might have always been like this im not sure. so i dunno if it was my driving or not. any ideas on what it could be and how much its going \to be to fix this problem? thanks

*Combining consecutive posts*

ALSO i dunno if its supposed to be like this but when i turn my steering wheel to its max amount left OR right i get this clunking/kind of grinding noise. what the hell is that

i apologize for this but im completely oblivious to car maintanince and repiar. i just thought i'd try to decent forum before taking it to a mechanic and being oblivious in front of some ******* who gets to charge me whatever he wants for this.

*EDIT by swartlkk - Combining consecutive posts - please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has not yet replied - Thank you!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: my entire car

well the first problem would definitely be in ur front end, does it pop/clunk? then its probably ball joints. if its just a big lean with no pop then its probably shocks. but do urself a favor and climb underneath the front. push up on ur steering linkage, u should have a slight flex, but to much(like 1/2-1") would indicate pitman or idler arm are worn. but u should also be able to find a shop that should diagnose for free, if ur not feeling up for the challenge.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even bigger question... Is this a 4wd or 2wd truck? Also, how are the tire pressures?

Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
johnnylobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

well the front is alot lower than the back but both are noticeable, as for it leaning im not getting any pops or clunks for that only the steering and its 4wd, tire pressue is about 42 in all tires. max is 45. i keep them a little lower because the roads arnt very well maintained here

Old 11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to jack up the torsion bar on that side to compensate. First check the torsion bar key jack bolts and compare the amount of thread exposed on the bolts. If they are about the same, then you may have a bad torsion bar. If the driver's side is showing more threads than the passenger side, that would explain your lean. The torsion bar mounts between the transmission and transfer case on it's own cross member.

Have a look at that and let us know.