2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

mystery iginition problem, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
razr007 is on a distinguished road
Default mystery iginition problem, help!!

2002 4 door 4x4 blazer (4.3 L)

History, 111,500 miles
listed work approx 15,000 miles ago:
new cat. converter, fuel pump, fuel filter, distributer gear, coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Current problem:

driving with cruse on or light load, I would get slight studder, this would also happen during light acceleration, (stopped on highway, just enough gas to keep moving, less than 10 miles an hour.) During hard acceleration there is no issues,

current new parts and problems seeing:

With all lights off, and truck running, there is a lot of arcing from plug wires, random places, and at coil. so I replaces the wires, cap and rotor (all ac delco premium parts.) still seeing problem of arcing, and drivibility issue still there, but not as bad... after talking to the local dealer, it was suggested to replace the plugs, to check the plugs for common signs of problems, and for cracks or miss fire, so I did that as well with ac delco parts. everything looks great, nothing standing out as issue. Again seeing an improvement, but still have problem and major arcing... This time noticed major arcing around coil, like it is glowing, and notice miss is happening during this "arcing" so I headed to the local parts store and replace the coil with a delphi unit and still seeing the arcing! I'm at a loss, what would be causing this?

So I currently have new coil, cap and rotor, with new wires, and plugs, all "OEM" parts, see seeing a miss at approx. 1000 to 1500 rpm while in park, very repeatable and see major arcing during this time, can also hear the arcing. couple of thoughts I have are a bad ground someplace, maybe the crank position sensor, or maybe the ignition module?

any help would be greatly appreacated!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the spark leaking out near the ends of the wires or in the middle? That is quite odd. I have never had a new set of wires leak spark when misted with water when new.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

All, I forgot to say, no codes.... and I did put a mass air flow sensor on it a while back... totally unrelated reason...

again, thanks in advance for any help!!!

Jeff

Old 11-09-2009, 10:08 PM

swartt, they arcing from both the ends, and in the middle, and both wet or dry! I never have either, I'm at a total loss!!!! I've built many engines and cars and have never seen this....

thanks!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

too much juice from the alternator?? Just a guess.

And of course you need a special meter to test the ignition module right?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member
paulggoo is on a distinguished road

Hi did you solve the problem with the coil arcing around the metal that encircles the coil yet. I may have a solution to that problem. This is a very common problem with these Blazers.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just share this possible solution?